??? for wet/dry (sump) users

Doc_Polit

In planning my next tank, I am trying to decide whether to use wet/dry or canister/HOB.

The tank is 120 gallon (48"x24"x24"). If I go wet/dry, the sump will be DIY.

My problem is this. My wife absolutely hates :mad: water noise. She is very fussy about the noise level because the tank is going in our livingroom.

I keep hearing (mainly from LFS staff) that sumps are noisy and very disruptive. Are they really that bad? How do they compare to more conventional filtration?

Too much noise = divorce. :chair: Although........that would leave room for more tanks.......LOL!!

Help me out.

The Doc B)

Edited by Doc_Polit

You can make a sump quite quiet... but that involves making sure you sump as lots and lots of water... so the when water falls through the bioballs it doesn't splash much. You'd have to use a standpipe in the overflow block, to make the water level much high so it doesn't fall the height of your tank before going down. Then you'd have to put a sound deading cap on the top... I've seen a few DIY for it, but I can't remember any off the top of my head.

HOB in my opinion, on large tanks, are going to be making splashing sounds no matter what. If you want quite, go for a canister, then jam the canister under the stand, and you shouldn't hear a damn thing

:)

My 2 cents

Well, I still haven't set up our 230 yet, but when I saw it running @ Spidey Steve's, I found it very quiet. The entire overflow was filled with bioballs, maybe that helped.

I was thinking on ours, I want to build an insulated box with removeable top, insulate the pipe, but still be able to have some flex line in and out of it, so that the hardware for rolling it right out of the stand will still work...ought to be fun :grr: If I can pull it off, hopefully it will be silent!

If you want, Doc, I can put you in touch with a client in Calgary that set up the same size marine tank with a 55 gal sump. He may be able to lend a hand in reguards to niose as well.

Rob

Edited by Majestic_Aquariums

Keep the peace and get a hang on the back, or canisters. Better yet both.

You can quite sump, however it takes tweeking and time. It is probably not worth the aggravation.

You really don't need a wet/dry on a tank that size anyway. :)