Filtration

Jilly McJillerson

It depends on the kinds of fish you're keeping in the tank. If you've got fish that originate from riverine environs, then it's probably OK. If the fish are really struggling in the current they could be using all their energy just maintaining position and suffer a gradual decline. Some fish, like danios, rainbows, barbs, etc. would probably do well in the current.

I don't feel you could ever have to much filtrartion, but your right too much current is bad try turning the out put of you canrstertowards a side of the tank this usually slows down some of the current...just an idea

Edited by CORVETTE

All depends on the fish from my experience. Some fish prefer a murky to brackish water while others prefer crystal clear. But I've never created much of a current by filtration before. That could be a problem. Read up on your fish find out where they live in the wild, see if it is in areas with a current or areas with crystal clear water. Can't go wrong that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly think there is a such thing as over filtration. Don't know if I am the only one on this, but I know a guy who has 2 AC 110's and an xp3 on a 75, which IMO is totally unnecessary with only 3 fish.

Some fish do come from black water, and probably prefer murky water, some do love strong currents. I know the danios I used to have would play in the current my spray bar made, and when I did water changes they would swim through the current the water would make flowing into the tank. But there are some fish that prefer calm water, so for those it depends on the filter, a HOB would probably not work as well with fish like that. With canisters you can at least point the spray bar in different directions to get different types of flow.

I think if you're planning to setup another tank a few months from now ,you'll definitely benefit from having the AC working away on this tank . It'll take 2 months + before you'll have enough bacteria build up for a new tank and not have this one suffer by it's moving but it'll be a first aid kit ready to go . You'll have the option to quickly set up a QT tank or a back up filter for a crash for another tank . It''l be the best way to handle a mini cycle or a fullout nitrite spike.

And you're going to somehow magically filter out the salt if you overfilter a brackish tank?

Filtration doesn't need to be tied to water flow - you could have a sump the size of the tank that it's filtering with 1x flow rate, or you could have a filter with a volume 1/10th that of the tank and a 10x flow rate. Which is better, I don't know. I think people are confused with overfiltering and too much water movement. Black water doesn't get filtered out any more than salt does as long as you're not using carbon/charcoal, and even though a lot of fish come from murky water I highly doubt anyone would want their tank to match because you wouldn't see what's inside.

Can you over-filter? NO. But can you have too much flow? YES.

Edited by African_Fever