Pool Filter Sand

Boom

I called Aqua Pool and Spa Ltd today and they ordered some in for me. Said it would be here next week and they would call me.

9803 63 ave.

780-448-3878

I need to call 'em again tomorrow and add another bag. Don't think 2 will be enough.

I would like to use pool filter sand for my 180 gallon african tank. Anybody have pics in their tank?

Any problems with it?

I can get a 50 lb bag for $14. Good deal I thought.

There is a place called SIL.....something just off 17 Street and highway 16, $16.00 for 100 pounds.

I am using the white stuff size 3.4. The syphon will suck some of it up but if you are careful there is no problem.

All the poop will sit on top and can become unsightly.

You will need to stir it up because of a risk of pockets of gas forming that can kill the fish.

For a 180 2 bags will give you about a 3" cover ....my guess.

PM me for the address if you want I have it at home.

John

Here is some pool filter sand in my 5G betta tank at the office:

DSCN5609.jpg

Same sand from further away, this time in my 50G Saulosi tank (on the left):

DSCN5036.jpg

I love the stuff. It's cheap, looks really natural and nowhere near as dirty as play sand in my experience.

Edited by thegrandpoohbah

I have used Target Play Sand for years - $7 for a 50lb bag at Home Depot. Get Target brand b/c it's washed - I tried others from Burnco, etc. and it was WAY too dusty.

Same here, I bought the target playsand, rinsed it really well, and even months later if I stir it when cleaning the bottom, the tank goes all dusty. Next time I am going to try the silica or pool filter sand. I paid only $6 for a 50lb bag for it. Maybe things like that are cheaper in Calgary too :huh:

Guess Target doesn't like you guys down in Calgary... :P

I have used countless bags and have never had clouding issues. I'd get more dust from Flourite. Here's how I avoid clouding (BTW, I pretty much never rinse 1st):

1) Put sand in empty tank

2) Pour water in SLOWLY - preferably onto a plate or something to disperse the water

3) Remember to add water SLOWLY

4) When tank is full (no cloudiness if you added water SLOWLY) turn on lights and filter.

5) Enjoy!

I know that was a bit cheaky, but I've typed out these instructions about 5 or 6 times, here in the last year, so I thought I'd have some fun. :P

Edited by jvision

Jason, what about when you stir the sand to release gases? That is when I find it clouds my water.

They must not like us down here, they must have skipped the rinsing stage and decided to charge us less for it :rofl:

Edited by firestorm

I also use play sandin most of my tanks. Love it and never a

have had a problem. I do rinse mine, but it dose not take long .Out of all my tanks there are only two that still have gravel in them and as soon as i cut down of some fish , I will be changing them to play sand also.

Thanks guys. It really seems like the way to go for substrate.

Any more pics?

grandpoobah, in your Salousi tank the sand seems very orange / redish. Is that just the lighting?, the pic?

Does PFS come in different colors? The place I called said they just carry the one "natural" sand.

Thanks guys. It really seems like the way to go for substrate.

Any more pics?

grandpoobah, in your Salousi tank the sand seems very orange / redish. Is that just the lighting?, the pic?

Does PFS come in different colors? The place I called said they just carry the one "natural" sand.

It just comes in the natural colour. In my pic it is a bit washed out because of the lighting. I think those are the GE 9325K bulbs in that fixture.

Jason, what about when you stir the sand to release gases? That is when I find it clouds my water.

They must not like us down here, they must have skipped the rinsing stage and decided to charge us less for it :rofl:

I have MTS (the snails, not the dissease ;) ) in all of my tanks. They do all the stirring for me... I'm soooo lazy!

• 3 weeks later...