I am thinking of setting up a tank with the following fish;

A. heckelli

bolivian rams

congo tetras

rainbow fish

2- synodontis catfish

2-plecos

This would be a 90 gallon

Would this combo work and how many of the rams, tetras, and rainbow fish woould be recommended?

This would be more of a community tank as half of your list are not S/A or C/A, but stocking would depend on the footprint of the tank. Keep in mind that an 18 by 48 inch foot print 90 gallon will not hold a lot more than a 75 gallon with the same foot print.

I am thinking of setting up a tank with the following fish;

A. heckelli

bolivian rams

congo tetras

rainbow fish

2- synodontis catfish

2-plecos

This would be a 90 gallon

Would this combo work and how many of the rams, tetras, and rainbow fish woould be recommended?

This mix might work OK. As to stocking, depending on the species of rainbows some go to 5 inches, and the plecos some go to over a foot....Your synodontis catfish grow very large. .I would max out at a total of 70 inches of fish measuring adult size from the start.

To go with the A. heckelli the larger rainbows would likely be better.

Rainbows and the tetra's need to be in a group of at least 3 preferable more of each. The rams would fight too much if you ended up with too many males.

J

I think this could work, but you will see problems like Nick and John have mentioned. Research your rainbows, and stick with smaller species - Dwarf Neons would be great. Go with at least 6 rainbows and 6 congos, IMO. And, I'd steer away from common plecos - they'll get too big for your setup. Go with Bristlenose if you're wanting algae control. For Synos, I'd probably go with a couple S. mulitpunctatus - they don't get as big as others. If you like Synos and want somethign that stays small, then go with S. petricola and get a group of 6 or so.

As for the cichlids, I'd start w. a small group of each (4-6ea) and let them pair off naturally. Then get rid of all others and keep just a pair of each species. Have suitable spawning sites at opposite ends of the tank; that way when either of them tries to spawn, they'll only take over 1/2 the tank instead of the whole tank, which would happen if the spawning sites are closer to the middle.

Agreed, I think it should be a fine mix. Bristle nose will most likely be your best bet with pleco's since they only average the 6", any schooling type fish do prefer groups of 6 or more, but with larger growing species I would only do 6-8 of each species in there. Synodontis actually like to be kept in schools as well, but it is not absolutely necessary. They had some really nice congos at golds down here, in really good condition too. If there is anyone coming down for the auction you should see if they could possibly pick some up for you and bring them back with them.

I would also go with more of the other species (rams and heckelli) and let them pair off on their own. Removing the ones you don't want. I have 2 bolivian rams in my 90, unfortunately both are males and the dominant male is harassing the sub dom all the time, so honestly I would stick to not more than 1 pair of them. It is always nice to see some center piece fish then some schoolers in a community tank :)

• 2 weeks later...

You can add angels if you prefer instead of the rainbows. They will also do fine with the fish you have. Again just like the rams and heckelli, get about 4-5 of them and let them pair off. You could easily have 4-5 angels in a 90. You don't have to remove all other angels because 2 pair off, especially if you go with 5. But at the most I would only keep 2 pairs of either the angels, rams, and heckelli, and then one pair of the other 2 species. This will give you about 8 center piece fish and then the clean up crew and your schoolers :)