need snail assasin

grapeape

It is a 10g planted with camboba and crypts,driftwood and black onyx sand as substrate. Who would assasinate the ramshorns and pondsnail but not bother guppy or fry?

A zebra loach (botia striata) would take care of it. Mine maxed out at 3 " They do like their own company so get at least 2.

I have come to a love / hate relationship with the snails. If you take out a bunch every week and limit your feeding you can keep them under control; they do keep the aquarium very clean of all algae.

J

Any of the loaches you get will eat fry. I agree with tbemis, the assassin snail is even able to eat malaysian trumpet snails. I have seen pictures of them doing it.

To keep the other tank inhabitants safe, this is probably your best bet. Besides, they add less bioload to the tank than loaches will.

You can try the assassin snail I know they are available on Aquabid. Very interesting snail, haven't tried any myself but have done some reading on them. There are lots of forums where people have tried them.

Is there a local source? I prefer not to use aquabid and my mailman doesnt always deliver all my mail. I was thinking about khuli loaches or hillstream loaches but wasnt sure if they ate snails or if the fry would be safe

I try to limit the feeding but have a four yr old who likes to sneak them food once in a while. She feeds the correct amount, but doesnt tell me when she does it so they get double helpings somedays

Edited by grapeape

I have never seen my khulies eat snails and the hillstreams definitely do not eat snails (I constantly have to remove them from their tank). As well, hillstream loaches need water temperatures at about 21C and extremely high current and oxygen content in order to survive and thrive.

get 3 clown loaches

Please keep in mind this is a 10 gallon tank. Clown loaches get 16 inches in size and prefer groups of 5 or more to thrive.

Clown loaches still take a long time to grow. The snails should be long gone by the time they become a problem. plenty of time to resell them.

On a negative note, very prone to ich, should not be medicated, and may eat some of your plants.

If you have no other invertebrates, you can use the copper method. Or everytime you see a snail on the glass, pick it up and crush it with your fingers and throw it away. Or for a 3rd option, you can try putting a jar inside the tank with some lettuce or something inside the jar, then when that fills up with snails, take the jar out dump it and start with a fresh batch of lettuce again. Eventually it will lower the amounts of snails you have.

Another neat trick is to put pellets inside a piece of airline tubing and leave it on the bottom of your tank over night. I've never tried it but it's supposed to work really well, in the morning it should be full of snails.

Edited by EowynJane