Thermometer issues

stribbelldk

Hey,

I have 3 different tanks with 3 different thermometers. I was having difficulty with my 15 gallon tank temperature. the thermometer that is stuck to the side wasn't reading so I took my thermometer out of the tank above it and it read 74 F, which is a liitle low. I turned up the heater abit and it went to 77 F. Curiousity got the best of me so I went and got my digital from the 90 gallon, which is running at 78.6 F, and put it in my 15gallon. It was reading 66 F on the digital but 76 on the manual. I then went to the 90 gallon and put the manual in there it was reading 88F.

So I did a small experiment on all three tanks and came up with these results:

Tank1- (90 gallon) 78 with digital and 88 with manual

Tank 2- 15 gallon 66 with digital and 76 with manual

Tank 3 15 gallon 67 with digital and 77 with manual

With this being said, I know if the 90 gal was at 88F there would be cichlids, which I don't, at the top gasping for air unless I am really pumping air into the water. I do have a air stone ane a canister filter with a spray bar that causes some rippling of the water and I have 2 aquaclears that of course cause a ripple. This is still really hard to believe that the tank is that hot. My breeding has stopped and I haven't had a batch of fry in 3-4 months.

With the digital running on batteries is it safe to assume that is the therometer that is most like wrong? Or can the manual one fail too?

Derek

I would put more confidence in the digital. Most glass fish thermometers are fairly poorly made.

The body heat idea may work but in reality there are some variations where you take the temp on your body. And the best place is the least sanitary and comfortable. :unsure:

good luck

I would put more confidence in the digital. Most glass fish thermometers are fairly poorly made.

The body heat idea may work but in reality there are some variations where you take the temp on your body. And the best place is the least sanitary and comfortable. :unsure:

good luck

Saran wrap under the arm or under the tongue for the digital and If the manual thermometer is a glass stick on the room temp could be a factor especially with it becoming colder. Personally i use the three dollar in tank alcohol based thermometer. they are small and can be hidden behind things or used when you are doing something to the tank or heater. It's the first and easiest thing for me to check if there seems to be any kind of problem.

Good luck

Lisa

P.S. if you are planning to get one of them then make sure you compare them with the others on the shelf for the best temp reading.

I had 4 coralife digital thermometers and there was a 6 degree celsius difference between them. I find the floating glass thermometers are more accurate judging by the difference in them.

I only use the floating glass thermometers, and on my discus tank the one reads 86, and when i put my hand in it doesn't feel too hot. So I really think it could be your digi thermometer that is wrong. I would test them with your body temp by putting the thermometers under your armpit for about 2 min. That will probably be your most accurate test. Whichever one reads closest to 37 would be most accurate.