DIY project gone mad

popik

I started out just wanting to shut down my two smaller tanks (48G and 65G) and just move everything into something a little larger for ease of maintenance...but then i picked up a couple Male Red Empress from Leon and saw his 150g show tank...after finding a group buy on FX5's it was decided that i would have to do up at least a 100G and make it look pretty with a cabinet and overkill filtration. So i picked up a 48 X 18 steel stand made from 1 1/2" tubing from BA's and made a few modifcations with my MIG. AFter a quick trip to Windsor plywood for some veneered plywood i started cutting and gluing and nailing for a few days then i started staining...and then with the help of Dal and a trip to BA's for the tank we moved it all inside the house. I was almost sad when i didnt have this project to work on anymore but after it was setup all i could do was stare at all the happy fish.

PA201212.jpg

PA201213.jpg

Oh and as far as the overkill filtration i couldnt stop with just the FX5 so i added an Eheim 2215 just for good measure...haha

PA201214.jpg

Thanks again for the help Dal

Edited by popik

Did you take any pics during construction of the project? So we can see before, during and after pics? Its hard to believe that stand was once a metal BA stand.

I had every intention to take some pics but got really carried away with the project and barely left the garage...while the camera was inside. The better part of the material is shop grade 5/8" Birch plywood with solid Aspen trim...i added a few cross braces inside for stability and a few verticals near the doors to mount the drawers and doors.

Great work there :) That is definitely great filtration you have on there. How do you like the FX5 so far compared to the eheim?

The problems I would see with keeping discus with africans is that they are alot less aggressive, need different water types, and africans are quick eaters, it may leave the discus hungry. I take care of a tank for a client and she also has 2 discus in with her africans, one being not well looking at all, and it always hides. Just watch them closely, and if you notice the discus becoming very stressed or not eating, remove them and put them in another tank.

Nice job on the tank stand.. what size s that tank? Looks awfully deep

I just finnished building a 150 Gallon 73"x24" tank stand out of wood and totally finnished and stained it as well.... I have never built anything like it before and it turned out awesome..... sometimes you just have to start something and you surprize yourself and its more enjoyable then one thinks..... now the cost is where the headache comes but still cheaper and nicer then buying something /// my stand after all was said and done probably cost me the better part of 300$

My goal was to keep the project under 500$ as that is what the pre-built stand i was looking at would cost but didnt have a canopy. Everything came in close to budget...the only overance was due to $100+ in hinges and hardware.

I preffer the FX5 over the eheims due to the volume of water they move and the ease of changing and cleaning the media baskets (ive only owned Eheim classics). The only thing i dont like about the FX5 is how heavy it is...it has to be nearly 90lbs+ full

The tank the Discus were in previous to this one they were with Africans for over 6 months and didnt see any problems...they hold their own fairly well and arent as delicate as most seem to think.

The tank is 48"W X 18"D X 30"T 110G perfecto

Edited by popik