Newbie setup requirements

Fishward

Im a new aquarium hobbyist, I just picked up a used 60G (48wx18tx15d) tank from the classifieds and i'm wondering what other equipment im going to require. It came with a home-made canopy and 2 bulbs (Giessmann 54W aquablue+ and another unlabelled bulb that looks similar). I'm pretty sure i want to have a sump style filtering system, with live-rock for bio-filtration. I've read alot of conflicting opinions on what other filtration is needed and how to best set up the tank. Any thoughts on the equipment i do have and what i will need? Any tips are welcome!

Yes, Salt Water. I'm thinking pf starting very slowly, one or two fish, and slowly build up to a reef community tank. i haven't done alot of research into species of fish yet but will be mindfull before i buy anything. are there any species that you would suggest as a first or second fish?

• 2 weeks later...

If you do go saltwater, do lots of research and don't cheap out equipment. I did saltwater until I moved to Wainwright and didn't buy all the good equipment and I had a hell of time keeping the tank clean.

One of the best sites to start at is CanReef.com, lots of good info there.

I am meeting more and more people who are starting with SW w/o ever doing a FW tank - it's not hard, once you have a bunch of research done and follow good advice. :)