Plexi-glass

firestorm

Anyone know how much a sheet of plexi-glass is at Home Depot or Rona?

I want to cut down on humidity especially for the winter. I want to make tops for my topless tanks, and rig up something for knobs. I used to work with it in shop class, so I should remember how to do it. A much cheaper alternative than acrylic or glass :)

Anyone know how much a sheet of plexi-glass is at Home Depot or Rona?

I want to cut down on humidity especially for the winter. I want to make tops for my topless tanks, and rig up something for knobs. I used to work with it in shop class, so I should remember how to do it. A much cheaper alternative than acrylic or glass :)

I have tried Lucite (very expensive plexiglass) that was very thick and it warped down in the first week. Find some old house windows, buy a glass cutter ($5) ,a straight edge and a pair of gloves. It is very easy to cut the glass :) Sand paper the edges to smooth them out and use a single sided razor blade to clean the glass...

How to cut glass

Edited by byte

... and rig up something for knobs.

You can buy the plastic hinges, stick on knobs, and the cut out piece for around the back at most LFS. The hinges fit different thickness of glass so take a chunk with you or measure the thickness. I used a dice glued onto to glass with gorilla glue for knobs :)

Edited by byte

You can buy the plastic hinges, stick on knobs, and the cut out piece for around the back at most LFS. The hinges fit 2 sizes of glass so take a chunk with you or measure the thickness.

Which LFS carry them?

I have bought the hinges at Big Al's in Edmonton.

I have seen 1/4" plexi in Totem & Home Depot, $65.00 to $90.00 for a 2ftx4ft sheet. Hope that helps.

:boxed: I didn't think a sheet would be so expensive. In that case I will toss that idea. I know the plexi glass can sag after time, it will be used mainly for my smaller tanks like 10 gallons, and I figured the sagging wouldn't be too bad. I actually have some glass here, but thought it would be too expensive to get a glass cutter to cut it for me, I never knew it would only be $5 for a glass cutter. Don't you need to have a wet saw or something for cutting glass? or a diamond blade? I thought it would have been more difficult to do. Thanks guys, maybe I will try cutting my glass I have myself :)

If you want a lesson in cutting glass Aqua Giant will cut it for you on the spot to your specs. Basicly you score a large scratch on the glass with the glass cutter and then tap along that line to produce fractures. If the glass is very thick then score both sides. OR GOOGLE how to? Glass isn't like stone that needs a special saw to cut or else there would be no stained glass as they would never have been able to make it without that technology.

Easy and Cheep

Good luck

L

If you want a lesson in cutting glass Aqua Giant will cut it for you on the spot to your specs. Basicly you score a large scratch on the glass with the glass cutter and then tap along that line to produce fractures. If the glass is very thick then score both sides. OR GOOGLE how to? Glass isn't like stone that needs a special saw to cut or else there would be no stained glass as they would never have been able to make it without that technology.

Easy and Cheep

Good luck

L

The glass I have is about 1/4" thick, but I have a nice big sheet of it so it should be enough for all my tanks. My father might know how to cut glass, he is a handy man afterall. I think the glass is the shatter proof stuff too like the stuff they use for car windshields, will it be harder to cut if it is?

Easy and Cheep

Good luck

L

The glass I have is about 1/4" thick, but I have a nice big sheet of it so it should be enough for all my tanks. My father might know how to cut glass, he is a handy man afterall. I think the glass is the shatter proof stuff too like the stuff they use for car windshields, will it be harder to cut if it is?

If this glass is the type used in car windshields, it's laminated and is difficult to cut. If it is what folks call "shatter proof", that is, the type used in the car side windows, you won't be able to cut it at all without it shattering.

That type of glass is tempered and shatters into l;ittle pieces when broken or 'cut'.

Windshield glass and tempered glass ca not be cut, it is what it is.

Windshield glass and tempered glass ca not be cut, it is what it is.

Not that it's relevant, but front windshield glass can be cut. I've done it several times for chopped tops on hot rods.

It's just very very difficult to break both sides without getting a travelling crack.