OMG....not another newbie!!!!

Calleja

yup, that's right..another newbie. and one who took too long to say hi...lol. i started this like over a week ago and crashed or somethin and just haven't been able to get back to redo my hello. but...better late then never i think. :shifty:

ok, so i am in Edmonton...and am a critterholic...lol. i worked in an awesome family run pet store in my home town and even though i loved all kinds of critters before that, i became hooked even more so after. though i have not worked in the pet industry in about 4 or 5 years now, that addiction never went away.

i managed to wittle down the number of four legged furry critters i have, but alas, the same can not be said for the finned scaly kind.

critter roll call:

-2 cats who rule the house

-a chinchilla

-a degu

and what you are all waiting for...the fish

-way tooo many red wag platy's

-a good mix of neon and black neon tetras....probably about 10 in total..maybe a few more

-a clown loach

-gold algae eater

-2 pygmy cory's

-1 paleatus cory

-2 black sharks

-3 gold barbs (my newest additions)

-1 pea puffer

all in a 55gl tank my brother let me have after he bought himself a beautiful 120gl(i think) bowfront for salt water

i also have a few smaller tanks rangin from 2gl up to 25gl that are empty as i am not sure where i could set them up in my house.

i love all my critters, have to say i love my cats the most as they might read this and get mad if i say anything else -roll-

but boy do i love sittin down and just watchin my fish, i used to have a 5 gl tank in my bedroom in my old house and it was very soothing to lay in bed and watch the fish, and even when the lights in the tank got turned out, i still loved the sound of the water.

i would love to get myself another 50+gl tank and maybe have it set up just for some gold fish, they have always been one of my faves. but for now i am happy with my community tank...well, almost happy...some bad advice and a store emplyee who would/could not tell me the sex of my platy's (i have always been terrible at tellin the gender of fish) and i went from 2 just for a diff colour to add to the tank to babies galore...lol.

let's see..anything else about me...ummmm...i like to have plants in my tank but never really learned much about them...i go in and ask for whatever is hard to kill and looks nice. i love salt water but would never have one, have considered a brackish tank, but idk if that will happen as i don't really know too much about them. i think that's it for me.

Hi and welcome to the board,

I don't have many inside furry creatures, just two toy poodles, and right now a blue point rag doll/manx cross, although he looks like a medium haired rag doll, as he has a full length tail, but he obtained the rag doll personality, he just flops when you pick him up even when he is asleep and you pick him up he doesn't even open his eyes...He is only 8 weeks old now.

Then outside we have about 20 cats, and 26 horses and two large breed dogs... we live on 80 acre's.

I have gotten into fish in June and well a person can say I jumped in with both feet and never looked back...haha...

Again welcome!

Lana

:welcome: Welcome to Alberta Aquatica!

I too am a critterholic. Right now we have:

6 cats

A whole lot of African Soft Furred Rats

16 aquariums with various fish or amphibians

1 pond with koi

I am glad I have not or never will work in a pet store. I would be broke all the time and have absolutely no room in my house :smokey: .

I agree that watching the fish is incredibly relaxing. Be very careful of MTS (multiple tank syndrome), it sneaks up on you -roll- , as you can see from my signature (I started with one 75 gallon tank about 2.5 years ago).

Welcome to AA.

Our household is another one that's way to full. My wife has a pet sitting business and we tend to be a dumping ground for unwanted animals, especially parrots. Right now we have :

6 cats, 4 of them Persians - my wife's addicted to them

4 dogs, from German Shepherd down to Chihuahua

8 parrots - 3 Macaws, 2 African Greys, a Bare-eyed Cockatoo & 2 Conures (we have had as many as 12 large parrots at one time, but managed to find good homes for a few and have taken some others to a parrot refuge on Vancouver Island where they can live out the rest of their lives with their own kind and not have to put up with anymore abuse or being bounced from home to home)

2 aquariums, 1 210g SW reef tank and a 120g FW cichlid and turtle tank - my addiction, I was up to 12 tanks at one time but have pared it down to 2.

Nice you have a Degu, I like them. We used to have 4 old gals that we called The Golden Girls, who were dumped at one of the local pet stores (and I mean dumped, the staff just found this little cage with the 4 of them in it sitting in the store one day) and unsaleable because of their age. Really cute and way more affectionate than I would have ever thought (mind you, I think that about some of my fish too).

Edited by 2manytanks

Hello and :welcome: to AA.

Our family loves animals too. We've got:

-2 dogs (A female sheppard lab cross and a male Chit-sue (sp?))

-1 cat (a tabby cross)

-1 cockatiel (A gray-pied cross)

-and a 32G planted fish tank and a 118G not set up yet.

We'd probably have more but we live in a little townhouse so room is limited.

Oh and about getting a 50+G tank; watch this site's equipment threads for some good deals and also look on Kijiji. I picked up my 118G with stand for only $200. There were other items as well, HOB filter, heater, ect., but they don't work so well. Great deal though.

Howdy from our zoo as well! We have pared down to 4 cats, an old Chow/Lab retired guard dog, our wonderful baby pitbull puppy, 1 crown tail betta in a huge vase, 1 10 gal tank and 1 45 gal community tank, as well as the 4 two legged critters some people call children......