rare or rarest cichlid

Tracked maniac

The only rare cichlids from Malawi or Tanganyika are those that usually aren't really in demand. I have two groups of Rhamphochromis, and besides those who have fry from me, I honestly don't think there's many (if any) others in Canada with them. They're not flashy, and that's probably why no-one wants them. Their Tanganyikian counterpart are the Bathybates species - again not the most colourful fish, but they're also supposedly very fragile and don't ship well. I have seen them on lists, but very few people have every actually kept them.

roypark - do you have any pics' of your Metriaclima? I'd guess it was miss-identified.

Kyle - you can see a pic of the M. Gnome in the following link. (first fish shown)

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showt...0&p=2166097

Paul B. up in Edmonton was the original source for these fish, and may still be breeding them?

I have an adult male in my all-male tank, but as roypark stated there is zero info available on this species.

There may be something in the latest edition of Konings book, but nothing in the previous editions, and nothing in his

cd-rom.

some quick shots of my male .........

gnome1.jpg

gnome2.jpg

gnome3.jpg

Looks a lot like Tropheops, let me know what you think.

Edited by RD.

There are soooo many cichlids I could name that are very difficult to get your hands on around here.

He is a very beautiful fish, I wonder if Paul is still breeding them as well....would love to add a group to my collection :)

Edited by firestorm

There are soooo many cichlids I could name that are very difficult to get your hands on around here.

He is a very beautiful fish, I wonder if Paul is still breeding them as well....would love to add a group to my collection :)

ditto although your collection is way bigger than mine so would tramitichromis intermedius fall into that categorie?

Edited by Tracked maniac

For rare cichlids in the Wild all of the victorians are probably at the top of the list as many are endangered. It is also tough to get your hands on wild vic's but Patrick seems to have a nice collection of vics.

I would agree vic are probably the most rare considering the situation that took place in that lake. most are endanger or extinct, and they stopped commercially catching them. most wild caught vic's and illegally imported and caught. Different var. of Tanganyikans are rare. for example you maybe able to find a tropheous in one area of the lake but his var. in another part of the lake maybe be slim to get your hands on. Its not always about rare fish its what you like but I would agree it is cool to have that knowledge. I got lucky I was on a hunt to find petrochromis texas reds and almost 6 months later I found wild caught ones. a couple days later I found out there are only 9 KNOW groups in canada and they stopped catching these guys years ago. these guys are my babies but boy do they need to be supervised. They love to kill each other, but will never lay there teeth on fry or other fish.

Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae is hard to get and Nanochromis transvestitus was hard for me to find when I was searching. Also many of the other non-rift lake African cichlids are hard to find. Steatocranus species are very cool, but S. casuarius seems to be the only common one.

I think the rarest/hardest to find cichlid altogether would be Iranocichla hormuzensis (which has been #1 on my list for a long time). Though this isn't African, it's from Hormozgan province, in Iran and is quite endangered due to oil pollution and warfare in the area.

And I agree that Vic's are definitely up there too.

Edited by Slough Shark