Kayen's Planted 33g - Up and Running

Kayen

Hm well downed all the bulbs os now to 2wpg, but i kinda want a decent T5 fixture... at least 2wpg of T5... any ideas where i can find some on the cheap?

thanks for the suggestion firestorm (: , i was gonna do that, because if you see the front piece of riccia it's the white needlepoint stuff.

Think

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl366...blestriplight36

would be good enough to grow most of the plants i have in there at the moment?

picL

Picture101.jpg

why sponges? sorry, I know I'm totally a novice...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright update:

I got DIY CO2 .. 2 litre bottle, injected into the intake of the powerhead and it's simply misted, i might add a small sponge at the end so that it will diffuse into the water better.

Also, i got a 2x39 w T5HO unit on top of there ... came with 2 10000k bulbs, so that's what i'm at right now. I'm curious if AG fixtures can handle geisseman bulbs ( i want a midday bulb).

Also got a glass top on there too.

Got both on just about an hour ago.. CO2 was prepared a day ago.

Pics:

Picture173.jpg

Picture174.jpg

Picture176.jpg

This last pic is what it looks more of in real life.

I like the even light coverage.

I need a bit of help though... my timer doesn't have a grounded plug, but hte fixture does, howabouts do i get my light hooked up into the timer ?

Edited by Kayen

• 2 weeks later...
I need a bit of help though... my timer doesn't have a grounded plug, but hte fixture does, howabouts do i get my light hooked up into the timer ?

Buy a timer that takes a grounded plug. : )

Seriously though, you scan find one at a hardware store (cheaper than the LFS).

Tank's looking good!

Buy a timer that takes a grounded plug. : )

Seriously though, you scan find one at a hardware store (cheaper than the LFS).

Tank's looking good!

She is right. I had to go out and buy new timers for all my grounded plugs, cost like $15 for a grounded timer at Home Depot.

Looking good so far. I personally love the Hagen Glo T5HO light units, makes a huge difference compared to units like coralife. All my coralife does right now is grow brown algae.....Definitely makes me want to get my 33 going with plants and stuff. So with the aquatic soil you were going to use, is that stuff almost like peat? How did you end up doing your substrate? Where did you get the aquatic soil, since it's shultz brand, I would guess you can pick it up at any garden center? Are you dosing with ferts yet? If you don't know this already, dry ferts bought at a hydro store are much cheaper and last longer.

If you still want to get a pressurized CO2 system, Red Sea makes paintball systems, for a 33 it should be all you would need and they aren't too expensive. But again your best bet is to find one online somewhere, since they can be expensive at some LFS. I found on my 35 planted, my 2 hagen natural plant systems (yeast method) just barely cut it for CO2, or I keep forgetting to make a new batch every 2-3 weeks. The only down side to yeast method is how often you have to make a new batch.

Very cool! How did you attach it to the driftwood before it started to grow?

Attach what ?

and which are you referring too ?

What an improvement! It makes me want to do a planted tank about that size. Well done.

Thanks (:

So with the aquatic soil you were going to use, is that stuff almost like peat?

Nope regular gravel like stuff

How did you end up doing your substrate?

Dumping it in and mixing with the darker stuff i wish i had hte darker stuff completely on top though, would look much nicer IMO.

Where did you get the aquatic soil, since it's shultz brand, I would guess you can pick it up at any garden center?

I got it at Rona's garden centre, but i'd assume so, and pond stores too.

Are you dosing with ferts yet? If you don't know this already, dry ferts bought at a hydro store are much cheaper and last longer.

I've been out of ferts forawhile. Hydroponics store is too far unfortunately ;( , so perhaps i'll get ome flourish whenever i pop by a store that actually carries it -_- ( i only go to Aquagiant & PJ's )

If you still want to get a pressurized CO2 system, Red Sea makes paintball systems, for a 33 it should be all you would need and they aren't too expensive. But again your best bet is to find one online somewhere, since they can be expensive at some LFS. I found on my 35 planted, my 2 hagen natural plant systems (yeast method) just barely cut it for CO2, or I keep forgetting to make a new batch every 2-3 weeks. The only down side to yeast method is how often you have to make a new batch.

Yeah, i'd still like some pressurized CO2. Well ideally i'd like to find 2 paintball systems. I will be starting up a new nano as well in the next couple months to take the place of my 2.5g ( just waiting for HC & E tenellus to take off ). The new tank will be a starphire 14x12x10. I'll be making 3 of them, me and my friends are gonna have a competition to see who makes best aquascape ( me obviously, i cheated ... pregrowing plants, and i'll be using better substrate ).

Anyways how cheap have you seen the paintball regulators ? If i see one complete package for under $100 (no tank included) i think it would be reasonable.

Edited by Kayen

• 2 weeks later...

Arghh update:

-Added 9 White Cloud Mountain Minnows

No pics, not yet, won't be any till end of the month, but i'm getting some algae issues.

I'm blaming it on : inconsistant CO2 from a SINGLE 2 l bottle.

and lack of fertilizers for the last month.

- High light levels.

So pending upgrades:

-Canister filter to replace HOB.

-Pressurized CO2

PM Henry at Nature's Corner to see if he has any Paintball CO2 systems left - the regulator is what's the hardest to find, I think.

I found myself a regulator - A milwaukee, i just need a cylinder, whereabouts can i obtain one of those ?

- Looking for a 5-10 lb cylinder

And i'll give Henry a call perhaps during the week about paintball regulators as well for my nano.

Also any suggestions for a dosing regime ?

5-10lb cylinders can be found at just about any welding/gas shop - OxyPro is one I go to when NC is out. If you have the Millwaukee w. the bubble-counter, I'd start w. 1 bbl/sec, and increase from there. I do just over 3 bbl/sec on my 135. NC also has 10lb cylinders.