Bristlenose Disaster

darkangel

I was just in doing a w/c on my 55, I decided to take out a couple ugly plastic ornaments, inside one of them was daddy longfin albino. When I gave it a little shake to get him out I got more than I bargained for (about 50 or so fry) came out with him. Unfortunately the congo's and kribs were faster than I was. I did however manage to clamp a breeding trap over 2 that were on the front glass and save them. They are about 1/2" TL and safe in another tank. Just had to share and the fact the next time I do something like that I will be puting it in a bucket first.

Yeah, those BN daddy's can be tricksy! I always assume that if he's in a cave and not coming out, that he's guarding eggs/fry.

Found 2 more in the tank and moved them before they got eaten. Also seen 6 more but the little buggers are too fast and hide good.

Good Thing, hope you are able to catch several, Congrats on the fry!!!

Lana

Congrats.

What you should get is a proper cave that you can either build yourself out of tile or get a clay one at Aquarium Enthusiasts. This will allow you to observe the fish better and you will note that the male has a distinct fanning action when he is on the eggs as compared to when he is just resting in there. When the eggs start hatching, that would be the best time to separate the male from his fry if they are in a community tank. The fry can be easily reared in a small container or tank without too much difficulty.

enjoy and welcome to the catfish world.

PS

Congrats.

What you should get is a proper cave that you can either build yourself out of tile or get a clay one at Aquarium Enthusiasts. This will allow you to observe the fish better and you will note that the male has a distinct fanning action when he is on the eggs as compared to when he is just resting in there. When the eggs start hatching, that would be the best time to separate the male from his fry if they are in a community tank. The fry can be easily reared in a small container or tank without too much difficulty.

enjoy and welcome to the catfish world.

PS

Very good advice and I thank you for it. I do have all kinds of pleco caves. Only thing is I'm not at all trying to breed them it just happens. The fish that I am trying to breed the loaches keep dining on the fry as soon as they come out of the cave.

• 2 weeks later...
kind of side not but I have a BN as well how do you sex BN and are they hard to breed? Would kind of like to try. How many BN fry usual in a breeding?

Female BN's will typically have fewer and smaller spikes on their noses. Males tend to have long bushy noses, so they are pretty easy to sex :) BN apparently are not difficult to breed, but mine have not bred yet (or my clown loaches have gotten to them).

• 2 weeks later...