410 gallon tank

rED O

My initial concern was not with the bolt and if ti could bear the load, it was the material through which the bolt had been threaded. You indicate that you've welded nuts into the HSS tubing, those welds will be your weakest point in the structure. Hope it works out.

As for the concrete, residential concrete is rarely if ever tested. The only do cylinder tests in commercial applications where they need to be able to verify that the conc meets the structural design parameters.

Older concrete will be stronger due to having dcads to continue curing but it will still eventually settle and crack if there is no footing or pad under that part of the slab. It will be a slow process and I doubt you will ever notice the damage.

Good luck with the tank. Looking forward to seeing it up and running.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you a engineer?

We had a engineer and a draftsman help us design the stand. I think they would know what they are doing.

I'm going to laugh about that for a while. I'm going to publish a book about the things I've seen engineers do for/to fish tanks. Whatever classes you need for that degree, common sense is not among them.

Good luck with the stand. I'd never do it, but I've seen it done and it worked well. It should be a really nice tank.

still laughing

Come to think of it.....How much weight can the threads take? Cause when push comes to shove all the weight is sitting on the threads. The shear strength of the bolt is irrelevant.

quinn, we are not talking about how much strength it takes to snap a bolt in half :rolleyes: . The yield strength is the strength of the threads. The bolt strength is the threads!!!!!

I don't care anymore if this topic gets locked. I am just getting annoyed trying to explain to all of you engineers how much strength a bolt can hold.

:cuss:

mods it would be nice if you could lock this

I will post pictures when its up.

I am done arguing here.

Edited by degrassi

My last point for all of you engineers out there

the bolts we are using have a PROOF LOAD of 74 000 PSI!!!!!!!!!!!!

PROOF LOAD:the greatest load than can be applied to a piece, as a beam, column, etc., without straining the piece beyond the elastic limit.