Question about flying with the fish into Canada

interlude

Im going to LA for xmas for a family reunion. Since I can never find a mbu for sale in town. (Gold's had one but sold) I was thinking.. what If I picked one up at a lfs in the LA area right before i head back to Calgary.

If you guys can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. That way, I can contact the airline and see if they have a live animal service.

Im going to LA for xmas for a family reunion. Since I can never find a mbu for sale in town. (Gold's had one but sold) I was thinking.. what If I picked one up at a lfs in the LA area right before i head back to Calgary.

If you guys can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. That way, I can contact the airline and see if they have a live animal service.

Having just flown into Canada with too many fish, I definitely can help you out. Air Canada will not take anything labelled "live fish" as luggage. I found this out a little too late. However United will take fish as long as it's packed by the pet store(so I lied). Kind of funny, considering United and Air Canada are partners. I flew into Calgary from California with a full box(on United) and was quite happy with the service. Also had no problems with customs too. Hope this helps!!!

LA has many cichlids I want, bring some back for me lol.

Having just flown into Canada with too many fish, I definitely can help you out. Air Canada will not take anything labelled "live fish" as luggage. I found this out a little too late. However United will take fish as long as it's packed by the pet store(so I lied). Kind of funny, considering United and Air Canada are partners. I flew into Calgary from California with a full box(on United) and was quite happy with the service. Also had no problems with customs too. Hope this helps!!!

so there was no problems? I think I am flying with United.. or it could be Delta.. crap.. I need to look for my flights

My fish were off the plane quicker than I was!! The staff were excellent at the counter, asking for instructions, etc. Would highly recommend using United for this. I didn't even have to cry!!!

My fish were off the plane quicker than I was!! The staff were excellent at the counter, asking for instructions, etc. Would highly recommend using United for this. I didn't even have to cry!!!

\

Damn.. im using Delta. So as long as a lfs packs the box im good to go? and dont have live fish stamped on it?

\

Damn.. im using Delta. So as long as a lfs packs the box im good to go? and dont have live fish stamped on it?

I'd check with Delta. Better safe than sorry!!!

Hope you have a giant tank for a mbu puffer.

Js

cant i keep it in a 33 forever? :rolleyes: jk

im looking to get a 300+ that should be ok shouldnt it?

Or I was thinking about bringing back a suvatti

A mbu max out at over 2 feet plus its massive body circumference...Not sure if 300 gallon would be sufficient. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php...eshwater/T_Mbu/

Just out of curiosity, how would you transport fish through an airline? I'm thinking of when you bring them home in a bag from the pet store, they tell you not to leave them in the bag too long bc they'll run out of oxygen. Would they not have that issue throughout a flight? Would it not get thrown around a fair amount?

Just out of curiosity, how would you transport fish through an airline? I'm thinking of when you bring them home in a bag from the pet store, they tell you not to leave them in the bag too long bc they'll run out of oxygen. Would they not have that issue throughout a flight? Would it not get thrown around a fair amount?

I did water changes on some of the fish that were sent to my hotel as they had been in transit for a couple of days and also had airstones in the bag as well as bag buddies. Some of them were bettas who are easier to transport so I left them alone. I got swordtails the night before and they were fine in the bag. I lost some bristlenoses but they were very small so it wasn't unexpected. I had a fish box that was very full and United sent it as fragile. Considering I had fish from 3 different sources across the US, it went really well and I would do it again!!!

No Customs issues? I have heard nightmare stories about people trying to get SW fish and live rock across the border...

If I was going, I would do some anonymous research on the Canada Customs website... If we are staying on the no fun, safe side of things. :)

No Customs issues? I have heard nightmare stories about people trying to get SW fish and live rock across the border...

If I was going, I would do some anonymous research on the Canada Customs website... If we are staying on the no fun, safe side of things. :)

I was not sure about customs too but they didn't seem to care.Mine were all fresh water too. Have heard that plants can be a problem so hid those in my makeup bag(sssh!!!). Have also driven across the border with a backseat of fish boxes with no issues too. Hope my good luck streak continues!!