Failed heaters

Baos

Heaters that failed  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've all had failed heaters. I've seen lots of other things fail due to our unstable power, brown outs, etc. One could also blame lightening. But instead of blaming whatever company who made the given heater.. lets see how many failed while plugged into...

Please don't take this poll too literal as our test base may actually be too small to conclude any definite answers as well we are not separating brand names and defective heaters for umpteen other reasons.

We also may not see more failed heaters while plugged into.. simply because most people don't use those items with aquariums.

Hi

My early days of heaters failed becaus:

1- the tube was hot when i refilled the tank.

2- the tube was hot when I grabbed it.

3- the floor was harder the the glass tube.(see $3)

4- The Oscar "Did Not" like the flavor off that particular brand!! AM I RIGHT FOLKS.

5- The contact points fused together.

6- The contact points rusted together.

7- The top was not water proof.

8- My Geophagus threw a big rock at it. Actually it did work until the house break went. hahahaha

9- Even after taking the Ebo J apart 3x I still had parts left over???

10- Add youe own ......

Have a Vent .. I just did. and I feel BETTER

Smokey

Using a surge protector (even a very expensive one) isn't going to remove the potential for a heaters thermostat to fail, especially those that are controlled by a bi-metallic strip thermostat. The best work around is to run your heaters through a controller unit, or cross your fingers & hope for the best.

I'm not sure what would make you think that a timer would help. If a heaters thermostat is going to fail, it's going to fail.

In the case of a faulty heater, limiting the amount of time that the heater is on would only delay the inevitable.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 2 heaters die on me, one was my fault though. I had a Visi-therm that I forgot to unplug while doing a water change, obviously my own fault. I had another one that quit working on me through a surge protector, had some loose parts on the inside so I think it burnt out since it worked fine for almost 2 years with no abuse from me anyway. Safe to say it had nothing to do with the surge protector, it was rated properly for the tank so it wasn't over worked.