Albino Aulonocara Ngara Flametail F-2

NWCD

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for share about discuss the history of my exotic lake malawi peacocks! Now I know about them in my record book.

My 2 trio-pairs in breeding tank they are F-1 the parents are from the wild cought F-0

Now I have 4 babies Albino Aulonocara Ngara Flametails. their great grandparents are wild cought f-0 which the parents are F-1.

The parents are brothers and sisters. The mother had to carry 4 albinos and 37 Aulonocara Ngara Flametails in her mouth. Another mother had carry 27 Aulonocara Ngara Flametails no albino.

Another trio pair the parent is wild cought and F-1, I have 12 babies and no albino.

The babies is wild cought X F-1.

Soon I will take photo of them and post them up.

Duncan.

P.S. Let me know if there is anything mistake.

Duncan,

If you've got 4 albino's from your fish I'd be a little bit suspect of their lineage. I've never had an albino from any of my fish, ever, and I'd imagine that I've had probably 6 spawns from each of my wild female Aul. stuartgranti 'ngara'. Albino young seem to be more prevalent among fish that are farther from wild and have been crossed with albino's in the past; I've never heard of anyone with true wild's or F1's having albino young.

It at least makes me wonder if they are true wild or F1 fish.

Just my thoughts.

I agree with A-F, the chances of F1 Ngara's throwing albinos, would be slim to none.

You may have bought fish that were advertised as wild caught, but I would suspect they were tank raised, and at some point in the past the albino gene was introduced via a cross.

Hi Kyle and RD,

the 4 Albinos fry are come from the parents its F-1 dad and F-1 mom. I have 4 females the offsprings are not albino. I know one mother is carry the albino fry.

I will work on the mother F-1 and F-1 dad if they have abino fry again.

Other breed tank its Wild cought mothers and F-1 dad the offsprings are WC x F-1.They should not have carry albino.

i hope my explaintion clearly?

Duncan

i will keep post it up again what happend the parents F-1 x F-1.

Albinoism, Is it not a natural occurence in the lake????

I have read that it is possible that it does occur, although none of the young survive in the wild as they stand out like a sore thumnb.

Also, is not the least bit possible that thier is inbreeding going on in the lake???? SO it is possible that a Wild Caught pair is brother and sister.....

Sorry to highjack, just an observation!!!!!

It is possible, albinism is a naturally occurring phenomenon. But it appears VERY rarely 'naturally'. If there were only 1 fry from the female, then it could've occurred naturally. But having 4 appear in a single spawn, leads me to believe that she has some 'albino' in her heritage, and the male most likely does as well. I don't know about any one else on the forum, but I've been breeding cichlids for 15 years, and have never once had an albino fry (though I have had a number of deformed fry). Hmm, new topic?

Exactly

The recessive gene for albinoism is extremely rare in nature, be it fish, mammals, or even humans. In most healthy populations this gene gets buried very swiftly, so the chances of 4 albino offspring from a pair of F1 fish, would be like winning the lottery. Your hear about it from time to time, but you seldom see it first hand. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with someone yesterday whom I consider an authority on this subject, his response, 99% of the albino Africans in the market are hybrids.

This person has been breeding Africans for 25+ years (on a very large scale), and is responsible for developing approx 25 strains of albino fish. He's obviously not a purist when it comes to African species, he breeds them as a business. He told me that even though some of these strains took over 10 years to develop to the point that they are 99% pure, in the end they are all developed from cross breeding.

Natuarally occuring albinos do occur and exist. Especially in populations that are located in a small isolated geograhic area such as one pile of rocks or shoreline in an African lake.

All it would have taken is one albino to survive long enough and produce fry in the wild and you would have a multitude of normal appearing animals that carry the albino gene.

If you breed two of these normal appearing heterozygous animals together and you will produce approx 25% albino fry. This is again theoretical and the 4 albino fry out of 37 would be indicative of 2 normal colored albino gene carriers producing.

Additionally if these heterozgous animals are breeding with normal colored non gene carriers in the wild half of those offspring will carry the albino gene as well yet they do not express it. So theoreatically a large percentage of small isolated wild population can be albino gene carriers without anybody knowing. Someone lucks out and receives 2 wild fish from that population breeds them and you have your albinos.

In the reptile hobby wildcaught albino pythons and boas are rare but suprisingly quite a few are found in the wild every year and many of these animals have survived to adulthood in the wild even though they have been handicapped by the albino coloration.

Albinos do occur naturally in every population with suprising regularity and many do survive to reproduce.

Dan