Best place to get sand

gordo

Wow, I had no idea you could use play sand. Surely not for a reef tank....right? I thought the sand in my tank acted as a PH buffer. Well I guess you learn something everyday and im feeling like a chump after spending so much on it. lol

I love the way it looks NOW!

I am not sure if Sil sand is play sand, perhaps sand blasting??? Does anyone know what it's intended purpose is?

You definately don't want to put this in your reef. Sand made of Calcium Bicarbonate is what you shoud be looking at to add into your reef. It serves it purpose well in buffering, but I removed my sand bed from my reef after a couple years. I found that it was trapping too much detritus, more harm than good IMO.

O yeah that's what it's called! That's what I have but sometimes you just never know if there is a diffence. Lol you could totally call regular sand something at a fish store and charge triple. But yeah, had my doubts for the reef.

Thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got my tank going I used the cheap Home Depot basic sand. I had heard everyone talk about target sand and stuff but I could never find it. One day I decided to just get the cheapest sand and try it out when I saw someone cleaning up the "sand aisle". I saw he had a few half empty bags of sand in bigger bags so I asked what they did with it. He said it can't be sold and anyone can take it. After cleaning it up they either put it outside by the contractors entrance or by the dumpster. Being ultra-cheap, I stopped in whenever I was driving by and in no time I had all the sand I could use and then some for free. I even got fussy and would only take the sand if the bag was at least 3/4 full and the hole was small. They do the same thing with the bags of gravel, cement, etc.

Went to all south side Homer Depots, non have playsand in color, only normal, canadian tire and totem have no playsand either...Not even Toys'R Us.....whaaa I was set on blue.Thinking of poping by Sil.

If your still looking for colorful sand. Go to the Home Depot in Sherwood Park. I was just there a few days ago and they still had the red and blue sand.

• 6 months later...

I just got my bag from Sil Idustries and i can't wait to get it into my tanks. It's off white in colour and there are different types and sizes of grain you can choose from. They have little sample containers at the front desk like a spice rack kinda. I guess it just depends. Sil sand i've been informed by a few others doesn't need to be washed(i'll sample a small bucket full before i trust that my bag is the same) so there is that to consider. Other than that it's all about personal pereference but from what i've read here no one seems to even consider recommending Pet store sand so that says something.

Good luck in choosing.

What i'd like to know is what size of sand grain should i get in order to prevent Ditris from getting in and have it float on the surface of the sand rather than sink in.

Thanks

L