Best place to get sand

gordo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping to pick up a bag of sand today for one of my tanks and i was wondering where the best place to go. I think Burnco is closed for the rest of the year but i am not to sure. Maybe Canar?

I would go to Sil Industries in Edmonton / they have several varieties of sand .... all the way up to Sil 8 / I paid 8 bucks for 40K of Sil 7 / was cleaner then any of the sand I had previously purchased at Home depot and a little cheaper...

Went to all south side Homer Depots, non have playsand in color, only normal, canadian tire and totem have no playsand either...Not even Toys'R Us.....whaaa I was set on blue.Thinking of poping by Sil.

Edited by Mmamnstr

• 2 weeks later...

I would go to Sil Industries in Edmonton / they have several varieties of sand .... all the way up to Sil 8 / I paid 8 bucks for 40K of Sil 7 / was cleaner then any of the sand I had previously purchased at Home depot and a little cheaper...

How coarse is Sil-7 in terms of millemeter? Is the grain size similar to playsand? I am looking for something more coarse and the place I am getting it from has Sil-4 and Sil-7.

Target play sand is great but not being able to get it at Home Depot any longer, I tried Consolidated Compressor in Calgary and was very pleased with the sand.

It cost ~$9 for a 40 kg bag for the Sil 8. They also have a Sil 9 which I'm wishing I had bought now. It is an even larger grain and more irregular in size. It was ~$22 for a 40 kg bag. Very clean and easy to rinse.

http://www.profilecanada.com/companydetail...ssor_Calgary_AB

The place I was looking at buying is called Gregg Distributing, you can find the address on yellowpages.ca

Nyasa, are there samples available at that consolidated compressor? Do you know what the grain sizes are of Sil-9? What color is it? Thanks for the link by the way.

The place I was looking at buying is called Gregg Distributing, you can find the address on yellowpages.ca

Nyasa, are there samples available at that consolidated compressor? Do you know what the grain sizes are of Sil-9? What color is it? Thanks for the link by the way.

Yes they have samples in their office in glass jars that you can look at. The sil 9 is the largest grain size and it is variable probably from 1-3 mm? The sil 8 is more uniform in size and cheaper. I cheaped out and bought the sil 8.

Thanks for the info. I got impatient as they were closed for the holidays, so I went with Sil-7 from Greeg Distributing.

I didn't like the way Sil-7 looked by itself, so I added a 20lb bag of Eco Complete Cichlid sand. The formula end up being 1 part Eco complete and 2 parts Sil-7. I love the way it looks not.

This is Eco complete cichlid sand

CS0772_99.jpg

Edited by felixc

Wow, I had no idea you could use play sand. Surely not for a reef tank....right? I thought the sand in my tank acted as a PH buffer. Well I guess you learn something everyday and im feeling like a chump after spending so much on it. lol

Wow, I had no idea you could use play sand. Surely not for a reef tank....right? I thought the sand in my tank acted as a PH buffer. Well I guess you learn something everyday and im feeling like a chump after spending so much on it. lol

I love the way it looks NOW!

I am not sure if Sil sand is play sand, perhaps sand blasting??? Does anyone know what it's intended purpose is?

You definately don't want to put this in your reef. Sand made of Calcium Bicarbonate is what you shoud be looking at to add into your reef. It serves it purpose well in buffering, but I removed my sand bed from my reef after a couple years. I found that it was trapping too much detritus, more harm than good IMO.