Small tank suggestions

Crystal

I am considering getting a tank at work. My boss is easy going and I would easily get a 5G, if I try I might get a 10G ( I am aiming for the 10G). I have never tried cichlids before (though recently added a few blue rams to my 55g at home).

The tank would have a HOB filter, lights, heater, auto feeder, gravel, live plants, etc. The water is probably 7.2 - 7.6 (same source for whole town).

I am looking for a colorful, active, hardy cichlid that could live in such a small tank. I would prefer a cichlid that breeds easily (I love the babies! :heart:), I can easily transport the babies to my house when they are a few weeks old (5 min drive). I suspect I can only get one pair in the tank and have no problem with that.

I was kind of thinking of kribs or red jewels, but not sure how they would do. Any other suggestions from those more experienced with cichlids?

What kind of bottom feeder can be put in to help clean up? I hear snails are considered delicious, would an albino BN work? Though I suspect breeding parents may mean no other fish, period.

I'm not going to pretend that i know anything about cichlids. But rams are not too big, very colorful and from what i know, breed easily. Maybe a pair in a 10 gallon.

I had my breeding pair of convicts in a 10 gallon and they were doing great. You would definitely end up with lots of babies. I've even got some youngins if you want them.

I agree with the shelldweller suggestion. They have tons of personality, are very interesting to watch and love to redecorate the sand. They are loads of fun!

It seems shelldwellers are highly recommended. Any good shelldweller suggestions?

What kind of shells would be best?

My one attempt at a sand substrate didn't turn out so well (don't think I stirred it enough). How would coral sand work with them? Would Malayan Trumpet Snails help stir up the sand or would the snails be more trouble than they are worth?

I am also considering the Honduran Redpoints, anyone have any experience with them?

Edited by Crystal

I would stick with apistos, or rams, i've had hondurans, the male gets fairly agressive when wanting to spawn. There isnt exactly a whole lot of room for the females to escape him in a 10gallon haha. Apistos are nice fish though, great colour, and nice and small :) good luck

I agree with the shelldweller suggestion. They have tons of personality, are very interesting to watch and love to redecorate the sand. They are loads of fun!

It seems shelldwellers are highly recommended. Any good shelldweller suggestions?

What kind of shells would be best?

My one attempt at a sand substrate didn't turn out so well (don't think I stirred it enough). How would coral sand work with them? Would Malayan Trumpet Snails help stir up the sand or would the snails be more trouble than they are worth?

I am also considering the Honduran Redpoints, anyone have any experience with them?

HRPs get too big for a 10g.

Lamprologus ocelattus or brevis would be a good choice. You could add MTS to help keep the sand stirred ,but really, these little guys will do that a plenty! You can pick up shells at craft stores for cheep. I think some of the dollar stores may even have some - shells about crab apple size should be good. Put in 2 per fish and you'll be fine. In a 10g, you could easily keep 6 fish.

We had a tank set up at work. It was a 3 gallon little desktop thing that one of the girls had brought in. It was a disaster. She had 2 convicts in there, they didn't last a week. Then she put a bunch of tetras in there, they didn't last much longer. Not only that, but she didn't do water changes or take out fish when they died, so by the time I took charge of it, there was rotting fish pieces in the tank and it was a real mess.

I went to our boss and he let me set up a 33 gallon tank. Then he let me set up a 20 gallon also in a different part of the office.

I've been maintaining them both now for quite a while.

My point is talk your boss into getting something bigger than a 5 or 10 gallon. At least a 20. Tell him it's a must. A bigger tank is easier to maintain, and you have far more options to stock it. I just have tetras and corys in the 20, but in the 33 I have yellow labs, a pair of red jewels, and a single taiwan reef, with 2 syn. petricolas and a BN for cleanup. It's a very active, colorful tank, and everybody loves it! If your absolutely stuck with a 10 gallon, then I agree with shelldwellers. Go with fine sand and some nice large snail shells.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

P.S. To pay for everything. We did a 50/50 draw. Everybody bought tickets and we raised 200 bucks for the fish!

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

I hope to get the tank in about march or april, as my job will change to be more online and require less desk space. I just like to do a lot of research before getting into anything new :lol: .

I can probably get a 10g, but unfortunately anything bigger just isn't possible. I am in a small department and there is very little room (and the only available room is on my desk). Simply no space for a larger tank or I would go with that.

I figured since I saw several signatures with 10g convict breeders that they would be fine in them. After a little more research I decided to go with shell dwellers, specifically the multies. I believe 4 adults can fit comfortably in a 10g, or at least 3 in an 8g.

Found a really helpful site for shellies: http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php?board=2