Planting basics for freakin' idiots...please!?

MrsFard

Just gotta make sure that you rinse the sand out well and that there are no harmful chemicals in it if you go colored sand.

MTS = malaysian trumpet snail

I just got back from the hardware store and the only sand they had (gotta love living in the bush :), was childrens play sand. I bought it anyway, I am pretty sure there isn't anything else added to it. I won't be able to check the consistancy when its wet until after. I was looking and it seems all the pros only use aquasoil, I looked at bigals online and they don't carry it. isn't peat moss basically dirt? I remember buying some for plants ...

Edited by violet c

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much just dirt, its another way of adding nutrients and junk, because i added itwith a tank full of water it made a huge mess (that the shrimp cleaned up after lol). I'd gladly try it again only using more peat to form a bottom layer and then sand ontop.

If you want to have the least amount of clouding when you add your sand, put it into an empty aquarium, then add water VERY SLOWLY. Pour the water onto a a plate to increase your odds of no clouding.

If you want to have the least amount of clouding when you add your sand, put it into an empty aquarium, then add water VERY SLOWLY. Pour the water onto a a plate to increase your odds of no clouding.

its amazing to me how fabulous I am at creating more work for myself :rolleyes: - and willingly no-less!

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys, these are pics with the substrate switched up...I loaded them to another thread for those of you who have seen them already. but i wanted to add that i pulled ups ome of the plants to give my bro and since I put those jungle lab fert tabs they have been growing like crazy and...the root system is great! I got more goodies on friday when i went to edmonton but, I still don't have it all set up yet..the stupid rocks aren't being friendly and cooperating with me. but i am getting three wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow so I suspect I will be planted at the computer pouting and uploading pics and updates. yeah! I got one tooth pulled thursday already and I'm barely surviving that as is... :boxed: good thing God doesn't give us more than we can handle or i'd be toast!

tank @ 25 days old

Hey Jason, how do I mix the ferts? (i thought you told me already but either i am being impatient or I am hulusinating). the guy from all seasons said i should pre-mix a bottle and then does...is that what you do? oh, and he said i should 'inject' it into the substrate...

Edited by violet c

Hey Jason, how do I mix the ferts? (i thought you told me already but either i am being impatient or I am hulusinating). the guy from all seasons said i should pre-mix a bottle and then does...is that what you do? oh, and he said i should 'inject' it into the substrate...

I'm sure injecting it would do as the tabs you put in the substrate would do.

Essentially delivering the nutrients to the root system.

I just dose each fert into the tank - always have for every tank I fertilized (2.5-135gal tanks). I'm so lazy, I don't bother with mixing or testing. I use the dosing schedule at the bottom of the pinned articles in the Planted Forum - that's it.

Haha, I am lazy too. I just toss in the dry ferts as is in my tanks by the output tube, it then kinda pushes the ferts around more before they sink and dissolve. I would think only for heavy root feeders like bulb plants and swords, that you would need to inject the substrate or use root tabs.

• 3 weeks later...

When I set up a moss wall, I siliconed some cork-board to the back of the tank, then stapled moss to it. Easy-peasy! The staples eventually rusted away and absorbed by the plants.