Planting basics for freakin' idiots...please!?

MrsFard

Acrylic is easy to cut, and can be held in place by the sand itself - it will shift, however. You can use rocks to hold it in place. Target Play Sand is a natural color, a lot like the gravel you have. In a 50 gal I had with cories and eartheaters, I used a combo of rocks and acrylic to make the front corner into a sandbox, worked perfectly!

The light you're looking at is great - do they ship to Canada, do you know what shipping cost will be? Check out BigAlsOnline or JL Aquatics, too. They often have great prices. Also, check out CanReef.com in their buy/sell forum - they often have good lighting for sale - it's like AA, except Canada-wide and for SW.

ok, Jason, i found a neat light set for cheap on canreef (i don't know if he still even has it but it looks like odds are in my favor), but its for SW this is it:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl366...oonglowledlamps

it is 10000k, will that be an issue or a bonus...? most places i've read suggest 6700k but I was reading an article that disected Takashi Amano's tank lighting, anyway, in a nut shell it says he always uses 8000k ....

If you guys are interested this was it: http://aendirect.com/aquarium/a-guide-to-g...ma-elatinoides/ and it links to this one about Amano's choices: http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html

and will my low light plants have issues with high lights? I reaalllly like the look of dwarf chain swords, clovers and other plants that grow into ground cover...so i came to the financially painful conclusion that if I am going to spend insane amounts of $$ on a light, I might as well do it right the first time... what can I say to justify this...ummmmm.... I like to make things grow...?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always get different bulbs. I've had some decent success with 10,000K - one of the vendors on CanReef (I believe his handle is howdy200100 - or something like that) often has PC lamps for a good price and sometimes has 6700K bulbs.

When you upgrade your lighting, you're going to want to make sure you also add light and ferts, otherwise you'll be fighting algae. "Low-light plants" are just called that b/c they can grow in low light; but, they still grow in higher light... even better!

You can always get different bulbs. I've had some decent success with 10,000K - one of the vendors on CanReef (I believe his handle is howdy200100 - or something like that) often has PC lamps for a good price and sometimes has 6700K bulbs.

When you upgrade your lighting, you're going to want to make sure you also add light and ferts, otherwise you'll be fighting algae. "Low-light plants" are just called that b/c they can grow in low light; but, they still grow in higher light... even better!

Don't wanna step on your toes but you meant add CO2 and ferts correct?

I was wondering about that! I'd probably use those ones until either they died out or I came into $$. and do you mean c02? I a practically holding my breath waiting for this person's responce!

When you're in Edmonton visit All Seasons Garden Centre - great prices on dry ferts, which will last you a long time. You'll probably want to get Potassium Nitrate, Monopotassium Biphosphate, and Potassium Sulfate. I prefer using Tropica Master Grow for smaller tanks, but because my planted tank is 135g, I use the Trace Mix from All Seasons as well.

for a 250ml of the three you mentioned there its only about $4 each and the trace mix that they carry is $10 for 25grams.... awesome prices! and they have a T5 light set up with 6400K that will work perfectly for my tank that will only cost $30.... -roll-

I've heard great stuff about them.

And as for T5's the bulbs are good till they burn.

And for bulb colour regarding Amano's tanks , their CF bulbs are 8000k but can't find 8000k bulbs anywhere else . Me personally i prefer a 10000k + 6700k combination, it looks good to me, and the plants are growing pretty good with CO2 so good, it's working. Also, with decent lighting you can grow whatever you like, especially with T5HO's.

With my 33g, i'm only at 2.36 wpg, but, i'm growing some plants in there labeled as "very high light", without hitch, provided my CO2 is running.

Also with CO2, consistency is the key, inconsistency is not (speaking of which i need to get new solution in there) .

Which is why pressurized is the way to go. I don't know how much it is, but i think paintball CO2 is cheaper, but not by much , so might as well go full sized.

You can get a bag of Target Play Sand at Home Depot for $8 or less - it's perfect for tanks... plants and cories LOVE it! Just trade it in for your gravel. Your plants look good, are you adding CO2 or Excel? If not, they'll start to take off when you do (and add ferts). If you are worried about the sand being sucked up by the filter, just do what darkstar mentioned: cut a piece of sponge and stick it over the intake, and rinse it out at every WC.

Look like you're off to a good start.

is having sand in there better than flourite or all that kinda stuff? can I add JUST sand (and fert tabs of course), is that enough? what if i want to slope it and stuff; will there be problems if I have really thick spots? is silica traction sand the same as that target play sand?

I've heard great stuff about them.

And as for T5's the bulbs are good till they burn.

And for bulb colour regarding Amano's tanks , their CF bulbs are 8000k but can't find 8000k bulbs anywhere else . Me personally i prefer a 10000k + 6700k combination, it looks good to me, and the plants are growing pretty good with CO2 so good, it's working. Also, with decent lighting you can grow whatever you like, especially with T5HO's.

With my 33g, i'm only at 2.36 wpg, but, i'm growing some plants in there labeled as "very high light", without hitch, provided my CO2 is running.

Also with CO2, consistency is the key, inconsistency is not (speaking of which i need to get new solution in there) .

Which is why pressurized is the way to go. I don't know how much it is, but i think paintball CO2 is cheaper, but not by much , so might as well go full sized.

I've heard that stuff is seriously expensive...

You can get a bag of Target Play Sand at Home Depot for $8 or less - it's perfect for tanks... plants and cories LOVE it! Just trade it in for your gravel. Your plants look good, are you adding CO2 or Excel? If not, they'll start to take off when you do (and add ferts). If you are worried about the sand being sucked up by the filter, just do what darkstar mentioned: cut a piece of sponge and stick it over the intake, and rinse it out at every WC.

Look like you're off to a good start.

is having sand in there better than flourite or all that kinda stuff? can I add JUST sand (and fert tabs of course), is that enough? what if i want to slope it and stuff; will there be problems if I have really thick spots? is silica traction sand the same as that target play sand?

I don't think any substrate is truely better than another except some of the aquasoil and stuff. For the most part flourite would probably be better for the plants than sand in terms of nutrients if I'm not mistaken. I've also heard of people using it for the underlaying level of substrate to give nutrients with sand ontop.

Its easy enough to just add sand, I changed my entire tank from aquarium gravel to peatmoss/sand without removing all the water. But getting a slope might be tricky, might even level out unless you make levels with rocks, like a rice field lol. Thickness won't matter for your plants, it'll just give a little less swimming room for the fish. Some sites I've read say to use up to 6 inches of substrate.

Silica sand will work, not sure if its the same as play sand, but I use silica sand in my tank. Just make sure that if its "traction" sand that it doesn't have salt in it cause I'd assume you use it on sidewalks lol.

I like Target Play Sand b/c it's clean and fine. Other brands tend to have a lot of dust.

Have have been keeping planted tanks for about 15 years, and used to use Seachem Flourite exclusively. Worked great when my biggest tank was 25gal. However, now my smallest tank is 90 gal... that's A LOT of Flourite!!

I ALWAYS use sand, now.

The reason Flourite is great is because it has an high CEC - the ability to hold ions (we usually think of micronutrients). Nutrients are held in the substrate for plant uptake.

But, since I've been using the EI method, I no longer need anything held for the plants - they're getting everything they need every day. A good colony of MTS keeps the sand turned, and my fish (esp. Cory's and Firemouths) love the sand better than gravel/Flourite. Plus, TPS is WAY cheaper than Flourite.

I like Target Play Sand b/c it's clean and fine. Other brands tend to have a lot of dust.

Have have been keeping planted tanks for about 15 years, and used to use Seachem Flourite exclusively. Worked great when my biggest tank was 25gal. However, now my smallest tank is 90 gal... that's A LOT of Flourite!!

I ALWAYS use sand, now.

The reason Flourite is great is because it has an high CEC - the ability to hold ions (we usually think of micronutrients). Nutrients are held in the substrate for plant uptake.

But, since I've been using the EI method, I no longer need anything held for the plants - they're getting everything they need every day. A good colony of MTS keeps the sand turned, and my fish (esp. Cory's and Firemouths) love the sand better than gravel/Flourite. Plus, TPS is WAY cheaper than Flourite.

MTS? SAnd sounds alot cheaper and I am sure I can get some at home hardware :)

Edited by violet c