Planting basics for freakin' idiots...please!?

MrsFard

I am doing a 29 G planed aquarium and my brain is having a melt down... :shock: so many opinions...that seam to span out over infinite paragraphs! So any one...please share the simplest, CHEAPEST, easy to find pointform equation..... I am making a DIY C02 and am keeping the easiest plants I can find.....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably start with the types of plants you'd like to keep and work from there. If I'm not mistaken usually CO2 isn't required until you get to mid-high lighting, so depending on your light you might not even need the CO2 (although I don't think it hurts to have).

In terms of plants, my low light tank (with some help from AA members) has Anubias, Java fern/moss, Crypts and some other really nice low light plants which seem to be doing well without CO2 or even high light.

I'd probably start with the types of plants you'd like to keep and work from there. If I'm not mistaken usually CO2 isn't required until you get to mid-high lighting, so depending on your light you might not even need the CO2 (although I don't think it hurts to have).

In terms of plants, my low light tank (with some help from AA members) has Anubias, Java fern/moss, Crypts and some other really nice low light plants which seem to be doing well without CO2 or even high light.

well, ok, some of the species that have obtained my interest:

Java moss/fern, the different stargrasses, clover, aponogelon crispus, green hyrgo, willow leaf hygro, cryptocoryne tetrospiralis and spiralis, hygrophila polysperma, pygmy chainsword, and something red :) i don't know if I got all those right...hopefully you can decifer...

So any one...please share the simplest, CHEAPEST, easy to find pointform equation.....

Sorry, but we can't really tell you that certain plants are "right" since tank specs and personal preference vary so much. How much light will you have? That is often a good starting point for choosing potential species. Eg. red plants usually need high light levels. Sometimes you just have to get them in the tank and see how they grow to determine if they're appropriate for your setup and your artistic vision.

Don't choose too many different plants to start. A 29 gal isn't very big so too many species will just look like a mess. Think of it like fish- a large school of one species looks better than 2 of this and 3 of that. Likewise, an aquascape looks more cohesive with larger groups of plants next to their own kind (as if they grew together and spread over an area naturally.) Of course there are some plants (like rosette plants) that are attractive as a solitary centerpiece.

Choose plants that have different textures. Contrasts in leaf shape, leaf size, and color will make your tank layout more interesting.

One of my favorite places for plant inspiration is the AGA Aquascaping Contest. Have a look through the entries and see what catches your eye. Most contributors list their tank specs and plant species, and some even provide a planting layout.

If you're like me, your tank won't be a static thing and you'll be trying new plants and rearranging old ones all the time...

So any one...please share the simplest, CHEAPEST, easy to find pointform equation.....

Sorry, but we can't really tell you that certain plants are "right" since tank specs and personal preference vary so much. How much light will you have? That is often a good starting point for choosing potential species. Eg. red plants usually need high light levels. Sometimes you just have to get them in the tank and see how they grow to determine if they're appropriate for your setup and your artistic vision.

Don't choose too many different plants to start. A 29 gal isn't very big so too many species will just look like a mess. Think of it like fish- a large school of one species looks better than 2 of this and 3 of that. Likewise, an aquascape looks more cohesive with larger groups of plants next to their own kind (as if they grew together and spread over an area naturally.) Of course there are some plants (like rosette plants) that are attractive as a solitary centerpiece.

Choose plants that have different textures. Contrasts in leaf shape, leaf size, and color will make your tank layout more interesting.

One of my favorite places for plant inspiration is the AGA Aquascaping Contest. Have a look through the entries and see what catches your eye. Most contributors list their tank specs and plant species, and some even provide a planting layout.

If you're like me, your tank won't be a static thing and you'll be trying new plants and rearranging old ones all the time...

I was just looking at them last night...nice.... but, i want them all.....:)

Shoot for at least 2 watts per gallon, and you can grow just about anything - there are a few plants that would like more light, but your options aren't too limited at 2wpg.

I LOVE the Estimative Index method of fertilizing - plants are always fed, no test kits, and super easy! There are other ways of growing plants, but IME, EI is the easiest.

IMO it also depends on the level you are aiming for... the planted tank, or the tank with plants.

If it's the planted tank, then definitly the more involved methods of CO2, WPG, EI etc. Especially if you are thinking about HC baby tears and Madagascan lace etc.

However, if you just want plants in your aquarium, it's really not difficult.

I have 2 planted communities that do very well with the minimum. They have regular household daylight CF lights and weekly water changes with Pfertz. It used to be called a bundle, but now they call it "The High-Tech Solution". 3 squirts per 10g once a week and I get excellent growth. 3-4 new leaves and about an inch in height every 10 days to 2 weeks (swords, anubias, wendtii, ludwigia, roccha, onions, vals, java moss, ferns etc.) I highly recommend the stuff!

Good luck! :)

Edited by PiscesGirl

Shoot for at least 2 watts per gallon, and you can grow just about anything - there are a few plants that would like more light, but your options aren't too limited at 2wpg.

I LOVE the Estimative Index method of fertilizing - plants are always fed, no test kits, and super easy! There are other ways of growing plants, but IME, EI is the easiest.

IME? EI? Estimative indexx method?????

IMO it also depends on the level you are aiming for... the planted tank, or the tank with plants.

If it's the planted tank, then definitly the more involved methods of CO2, WPG, EI etc. Especially if you are thinking about HC baby tears and Madagascan lace etc.

I have 2 planted communities that do very well with the minimum. They have regular household daylight CF lights and weekly water changes with Pfertz. It used to be called a bundle, but now they call it "The High-Tech Solution". 3 squirts per 10g once a week and I get excellent growth. 3-4 new leaves and about an inch in height every 10 days to 2 weeks (swords, anubias, wendtii, ludwigia, roccha, onions, vals, java moss, ferns etc.) I highly recommend the stuff!

its soo exspensive!! Is it available in edmonton? what about macros? (whatever they are...)

its soo exspensive!! Is it available in edmonton? what about macros? (whatever they are...)

There is a Hydroponics shop in edmonton that has dry ferts for cheap. I've never been there but a few of our members buy their ferts there.

It's definitely cheaper to buy dry and mix your own. If you can't get to Edmonton, there's a hydroponics place in Calgary that will do mail order: Quick Grow. Their item listing is a little whacked, though. You have to search for stuff like "pot", "phos" and "nit" instead of potassium, phosphate and nitrate. :grr:

A good article that will explain all the basics (like macros) is here.

I thought it was pricey too and went on a hunch based on great reviews and opinions... but I must tell you I was very suprised how long they last me! I have mine 3 months now and am maybe a third down the bottles, if not less.

I'm not sure where else they are stocked, I had mine shipped over from Burnaby. If you are interested, I would email them. I know of a couple other places that stock it that are not on the list.

Quick grow is a great place to shop, and pretty close to home for me :) I agree though that everything depends on what types of plants you want, and how much wattage you want to go for. The higher the wattage the more CO2 and ferts you will be needing. I honestly have less trouble with my 5 gallon planted tank than I do my 35 gallon planted tank. Seems I grow algae better than I do plants sometimes in the 35. The difference between the 2 tanks is that one is low light, with low light plants (I only dose ferts a couple days a week along with a few drops of excel), and the 35 I have higher lights running 2 DIY CO2 systems and I try to remember to dose with ferts every day for 6 days. Low light planted tanks are definitely easier and less costly, but many of the plants you have listed will require med-high lighting. Red plants also need lot's of iron to keep them red, otherwise they will fade to green.

IME? EI? Estimative indexx method?????

IME = In My Experience - about 15yrs keeping plants and planted aquaria

EI = Estimative Index - feed plants all they need in excess, and don't worry about test kits or algae

Estimative Index = feed plants all they need in excess, and don't worry about test kits or algae... there's an article in the pinned topics