Planting basics for freakin' idiots...please!?

MrsFard

I'd probably start with the types of plants you'd like to keep and work from there. If I'm not mistaken usually CO2 isn't required until you get to mid-high lighting, so depending on your light you might not even need the CO2 (although I don't think it hurts to have).

In terms of plants, my low light tank (with some help from AA members) has Anubias, Java fern/moss, Crypts and some other really nice low light plants which seem to be doing well without CO2 or even high light.

what kinda lighting is it exactly? all I have right now is a 4200k 20 w thing.... I got java fern and moss, some kinda star grass and swords (guessing here...), I want beautiful plants that grow fast but my budget is sligthly scary... :smokey:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO it also depends on the level you are aiming for... the planted tank, or the tank with plants.

If it's the planted tank, then definitly the more involved methods of CO2, WPG, EI etc. Especially if you are thinking about HC baby tears and Madagascan lace etc.

However, if you just want plants in your aquarium, it's really not difficult.

I have 2 planted communities that do very well with the minimum. They have regular household daylight CF lights and weekly water changes with Pfertz. It used to be called a bundle, but now they call it "The High-Tech Solution". 3 squirts per 10g once a week and I get excellent growth. 3-4 new leaves and about an inch in height every 10 days to 2 weeks (swords, anubias, wendtii, ludwigia, roccha, onions, vals, java moss, ferns etc.) I highly recommend the stuff!

Good luck! :)

its soo exspensive!! Is it available in edmonton? what about macros? (whatever they are...)

I thought it was pricey too and went on a hunch based on great reviews and opinions... but I must tell you I was very suprised how long they last me! I have mine 3 months now and am maybe a third down the bottles, if not less.

I'm not sure where else they are stocked, I had mine shipped over from Burnaby. If you are interested, I would email them. I know of a couple other places that stock it that are not on the list.

I am interested.... I have the trace/micros.... and I was looking at that phertz site and I wouldn't mind getting the N,P,K, and R ones.... too bad they don't have mini sets..mind you I didn't look at the shipping either...hmm...

I am interested.... I have the trace/micros.... and I was looking at that phertz site and I wouldn't mind getting the N,P,K, and R ones.... too bad they don't have mini sets..mind you I didn't look at the shipping either...hmm...

Oh please don't look at their shipping.. it's scary!! The quote I got was almost the same price as the fertz!

If you are still interested, try get them from in Canada instead. Not sure about Aquariums West as they are a store, but try Arovillage.. I'm almost positive they do ship.

Who knows, maybe you will get them and rave.. next time a group buy :D

Edited by PiscesGirl

Less than 1...

15watt 18 inch bulb, over a 20 gal 30inch long tank.

THATS COOL....maybe i won't have to buy a different one for now!

It also depends on the plants....

I've followed Tropica's website for light reqs and the plants seem to grow well :)

Also gotten good quality plants from members on here

Edited by thedarkstar

Oh please don't look at their shipping.. it's scary!! The quote I got was almost the same price as the fertz!

If you are still interested, try get them from in Canada instead. Not sure about Aquariums West as they are a store, but try Arovillage.. I'm almost positive they do ship.

Who knows, maybe you will get them and rave.. next time a group buy :D

that was cute...:) I am going to see what we have at here in LLb ( a.k.a. 1/4 an aisle in the drug store..pathetic!)... but I think I remember seeing something...even if i just get some kinda tablets..... but i will check those other places out too...I just realized that I f I were to even concider paying the shipping too it would be crazy seeing as how its the approximate equivalent to what it would cost me in gas for a trip to the city....

t's me again! I just found out I am going to edmonton on the 16th again (*happy dance*)... so i get to work on my little project some more.... is there anywhere I can buy phertz there?? and I am uploading a picture of what my tank looks like so far... I would really appreciate some constructive critisism....there are some changes I want to make when the plants fill out more, and there is a fair bit of dead leaves here and there...oh, and that java moss needs to be re-done.... i have two colors for the substrate but its all mixing now and I don't know how I feel about it as -is.... anyways, i can't wait to hear from you peoples.

the pictures aren't the greatest ... well, i officially don't know what i am doing! i am going to create an album...that seems easier...if you guys could...maybe check them out there :rolleyes:

Edited by violet c

When you're in Edmonton visit All Seasons Garden Centre - great prices on dry ferts, which will last you a long time. You'll probably want to get Potassium Nitrate, Monopotassium Biphosphate, and Potassium Sulfate. I prefer using Tropica Master Grow for smaller tanks, but because my planted tank is 135g, I use the Trace Mix from All Seasons as well.

When you're in Edmonton visit All Seasons Garden Centre - great prices on dry ferts, which will last you a long time. You'll probably want to get Potassium Nitrate, Monopotassium Biphosphate, and Potassium Sulfate. I prefer using Tropica Master Grow for smaller tanks, but because my planted tank is 135g, I use the Trace Mix from All Seasons as well.

thank you for making that sooo simple!!!!