weird growth

JORG

My male Exochromis anagenys has some sort of growth around the base of both his pectoral fins I'm unsure what it is no other fish in the tank have it. This morning I also noticed a white spot just above his lip starting to develop you can kinda see it in the first pic ----any help would be appreciated

fish1375.jpg

fish1377.jpg

Thanks Boom, 4 different forums and only one reply --- unfortunately it doesn't appear to be that simple after talking with Dennis at Golds yesterday and showing him pictures (the fish came out of his display tank originally) He said the only way to fix it was to do surgery to remove the growths and then treat with anti parasite medications but he also said that the chance of recovery was slim and recommended that I terminate the fish to prevent the chance of it spreading. So Pike bait it is I'm thinking

This is too wierd. My most dominate fish has that same growth plus above his eye. Hes a beautiful fish but not enough to do surgery or risk all the others. Did Dennis say exactly what it was I couldnt find anything on any sites?

Edited by cichlidmomwanabe

No he didn't say what is was or if he did I missed it we were mostly talking about the treatment he told me this parasite is mostly seen on gourami's

I would consider trying and anti-parasite medication before terminating if you have the fish seperated. You may loose the fish anyway, but like Lana said, at least you tried. Unfortunately I can't recommend a specific medication, but any good one is worth a try.

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

I also had this happen with one of my Angels and treated it with melafix & pimafix with no luck. The Angel didn't appear to be suffering, ate and swam normally, but when one of the pec fins fell off, that was enough for me. I put it down immediately so as to not spread anything to my other fish.

Tammy

Well I got a reply on c-f from a guy that seemed familiar with the problem and it might be a viral-lymphocystic-infection and that the fish usually heal by themselves over time and that there is no known treatment other than cutting the growths off if they get to big.

My gf says she had a tank a few years ago with a fish who had a growth similar to that, she said it was much bigger, nothing fell off. She called it a tumor. Said it never spread to the other fish. She also said the fish did last for a long time but eventually died.

I had something like this happen to my acei. It kept growing and then it looked like it opened up. Letting something out and it closed up again. He never stopped eating and was swimming fine the whole time. He has been fine since.

Good luck trying to get rid of it.

Edited by soliver