Need Suggestions

Slough Shark

I am trying to figure out what fish will produce the most amount of waste while being compatible with plants in a 20 Gallon tank. I would like to try aquaponics, and it requires a fish that produces large amounts of waste. Obviously a goldfish or tilapia would be ideal, but I need something smaller (and which works with plants).

Any suggestions?

Aquaponics? Growing Aquatic Plants? Or, are you growing terrestrial plants using an hydroponics set-up rin thru the aquarium? Are you just wanting one fish? What size system are we talking? Just curious as to your requirements, as I have a few ideas but not really sure what you're wanting.

If I were to do what I'm thinking Aquaponics is, I'd grow the plants in either a sump under the tank, or run some water thru a trough over the top of the tank. As for fish, I'd go with an African cichlid tank, overstocked. Or, maybe some big SA cichlids.

Edited by jvision

Aquaponics is similar to Hydroponics but usually on a much larger scale and with fish instead of fertilizers. I am going to try it out on my 20 Gallon. I will either use a trough and pump water through it or use styrofoam and dangle the roots into the water with a pump to move the water across them.

Thanks for the suggestion degrassi, I will definitely add a few BNs. I was thinking of a dwarf Channa or two.

I did this for 9 months. You need to monitor your iron levels. As well as getting a good source of nutrient. The bacteria the fish produce attach to the roots of the plants and aid in the uptake of nutrients. When I did this I had a pretty weak bio load and the plants grew like weeds.

You may end up having to dose ferts to keep plant growth up, but see how it goes with just healthy feeding. Good WCs will also help keep things ballanced.

Thanks for all of the help/suggestions guys. I will go with my dwarf channa and a few BNPs.

Baos- I can monitor the iron easily enough, thanks for the tip. What do you mean by a good source of nutrient? Does this mean dosing with liquid ferts or can I just add peat?

I'm sorry, I meant your fish will supply you with a good source of nutrient. I could also add that it seemed my charcoal only lasted 50% of it's usual life. I would imagine it picked up the plant waste.