Gnaw's 100g Tank Restoration & Stand Project

Gnaw

This is what I've finished so far:

DSC06225Small.jpg

After I fixed the motor for the heater in the garage I got carried away with this stand and before I knew it, it was already 4am! :lol:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks excellent Nick. Very familiar looking! ;)

My only comment would be to get yourself some shims (your gonna need them to level the stand anyway) and shove them in these spaces.

DSC06224Small.jpg

I see that you "toe-nailed" the top beams to the verticle supports, with screws. Back the screws out, spread some wood glue on both sides of a shim, and shove it into that gap. Once the glue is dry in a few hours, screw it back together, then just break the shims off where they stick out.

If you don't, you will get some creaking and settling in the stand as the weight of the tank tryes to compress those gaps, making the whole thing slightly lopsided. Not what you want.

I can't tell how you attached the verticle supports to the bottom base. Did you toe'nail it as well or crew up from the bottom? Did you glue all the parts as well?

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see how your gonna finish the outside of it!

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

Looks excellent Nick. Very familiar looking! ;)

Ha! Well I needed to base-it-off something I know that works. But really, how many ways are their to build a wooden frame for a tank? Wait don't answer that...

I see that you "toe-nailed" the top beams to the vertical supports, with screws. Back the screws out, spread some wood glue on both sides of a shim, and shove it into that gap. Once the glue is dry in a few hours, screw it back together, then just break the shims off where they stick out.

If you don't, you will get some creaking and settling in the stand as the weight of the tank try's to compress those gaps, making the whole thing slightly lopsided. Not what you want.

That's going to be a lot of screws to back-out! I could only toe-nail the ones on the top because I didn't have any screws long enough to go though the top!

I can't tell how you attached the vertical supports to the bottom base. Did you toe'nail it as well or crew up from the bottom? Did you glue all the parts as well?

The bottom half was screwed in from the other side of the bottom. No toe-nailing there. (Thank god!)

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see how your gonna finish the outside of it!

Thanks bud. I'll give you a hint of what I'm thinking about doing for the outside...

blackplySmall.png

Question for you now:

I need to start considering how to install the sump tank in the bottom. Are the sliders you installed with your router necessary? (I don't have a router).

Maybe I could get away with heavy duty drawer sliders?.

What do you think? do I need them at all?

If I were to do mine again, I would leave out the sliders completely. It's too hard to move the sump unless it's completely empty. I wouldn't bother. Just make sure you have some head room to get into it and don't worry about moving it.

If I were to do mine again, I would leave out the sliders completely. It's too hard to move the sump unless it's completely empty. I wouldn't bother. Just make sure you have some head room to get into it and don't worry about moving it.

Ah thanks!

I kept looking at yours and than at the size of the sump and I was asking myself how effective that is and what would happen if I pulled it out too far!

Because I decided to lay the frame for the base flat I gained a few more inches for head clearance. I also want to put a light in there. :shifty:

How is this project coming along?

Hello,

Project is on hold for a little while... I'm just swamped with with work right now.

I'll see if my friend can give me a lift this coming weekend so I can pick-up the rest of the materials.

Ugh, I wanted to do some work this weekend but I'm in the middle of my midterm exams. I'm actually @ NAIT studying ATM (seems like how I spend all my weekends). Reading week (FEB 16), I PROMISE this stand is going to be finished! And I'll either have started or finished the lid.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised! I've done some work on the stand. I've glued in shims in all the cracks as best I could. Needless to say there where a lot of shims... I've also painted the inside and top/surface with two coats of black. I'm just waiting for it to dry and in a few hours I'm going to put on the side panels and figure out how I'm going to install the doors.

Shim job

DSC06269Small.jpg

more shims...

DSC06270Small.jpg

Started 1st coat

DSC06271Small.jpg

DSC06272Small.jpg

Finished second coat

DSC06273Small.jpg

DSC06274Small.jpg

Alright, after two grueling days of fiddling with the doors and their hinges their on! Put they're not pretty...

Cutting and ironing on the side strips

DSC06279Small.jpg

Positioning, drilling, repositioning and re-drilling x 4 the hinges and doors

DSC06280Small.jpg

DSC06281Small.jpg

DSC06282Small.jpg

Open sesame!

DSC06283Small.jpg

Hinge close-up

DSC06284Small.jpg

Filling in screw-holes

DSC06285Small.jpg

I was going to completely finish it today (I still might) but I have some running around to do and I needed to wait for the glue to dry to I could sand and paint. Stay-tuned!