Gnaw's 100g Tank Restoration & Stand Project

Gnaw

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can add a 1/4" plate over top of the cracks as long as they don't go from edge to edge. If they do you will need to replace the whole bottom of the tank. Do you still have enough of the orininal glass from the frot pane to cover the cracks?

IF it goes 1/4" from the edge then I think it might be too close. Is there still a lip on the bottom of the tank or is it just flat glass? If it is flet glass call around to gless shops you might be able to get a sheet of salvage glass that will fit the bottom of the tank, for cheap even though you might have to wait.

IF it goes 1/4" from the edge then I think it might be too close. Is there still a lip on the bottom of the tank or is it just flat glass? If it is flet glass call around to gless shops you might be able to get a sheet of salvage glass that will fit the bottom of the tank, for cheap even though you might have to wait.

I'm going to have to agree with you, looking at it I wouldn't trust it as the base support. Damn it, now I need to redrill and reinstall those bulkheads.

I'd use a new bottom panel.

If the bottom is well supported, wich it looks like it will be, you can plate the bottom it will save some cost but you have to have the plate cover the bottom panel and the botttom of the sides.

You may have tightened the bulkheads too tight. If you're going to used silicon, you will only have to tighten them finger tight. Even if you just use a rubber gasket, you only want to tighted it enough that the gasket is tight.

I'd use a new bottom panel.

If the bottom is well supported, which it looks like it will be, you can plate the bottom it will save some cost but you have to have the plate cover the bottom panel and the bottom of the sides.

Thanks for your insight.

If the tank were to lay on the foam, which is what I intended, its weight is distributed proportionally. However, if I were to reinforce the bottom on both sides it may upset this. The pieces I would silicone are very thick, it might be troublesome unless I cut-out 1/2" of the foam to allow that piece to sit flush. There is also no guarantee this will solve the problem either.

I think I may replace the sheet.

Edited by Gnaw

If you're going to do a patch, I would patch them on the inside. THat way your bottom will still be flat.

You may have tightened the bulkheads too tight. If you're going to used silicon, you will only have to tighten them finger tight. Even if you just use a rubber gasket, you only want to tighted it enough that the gasket is tight.

Thanks for your reply.

I used my wrench-like hands to tighten them, I figured since the threads were just plastic over-tightening would cause some problems.

Edited by Gnaw

If you're going to do a patch, I would patch them on the inside. THat way your bottom will still be flat.

Not sure if you could tell from the picture, but the crack is from the 1-1/2 " bulkhead almost completely to the front. Would just patching one side be sufficent? If I run my finger along the crack I can FEEL the displacement of the glass. I'm worried that moving/picking it while I continue working on it would cause further damage, even if I did patch it. I think I'm pooched.

I have a 66 gal where the back pane cracked right thru from top to bottom. I used 1/4" glass (just over 1/2 the size of the back pane) and siliconed the patch on the inside - the tank has been running such for almost a year.

If a new bottom isn't in the budget, put the tank on the stand, patch it and re-drill with it on the stand if you're worried about flexing the tank while moving it. You could finish the tank in place... you just have to be smart about where the water's going to go while drilling - and maybe have a few towels on hand. ;)