Tank Journal Section

This is on a number of other boards i'm on, and i find it quite enjoyable to go through, and see the progress of peoples tanks, and i see there's a few journals here and there of the tanks people have here on this board, so perhaps we could come up with a section for it as well, and seek help and the abundant knowledge present here on these boards as well.

Also helps with people who want to start a similar tank to another person, and they have a journal to guide them.

Anyways this is my suggestion at least, i post journals of my tanks here so others can enjoy my tank as i do .

Please mods, put this addition on the board. I can guarantee I'd participate and use it to search, I think it's a great learning/inspiration source for new fish-keepers. Looking at other people's tanks and getting my own ideas is a big contributor to how I have been able to keep passionate about the hobby.

I think it would be a really great addition.

The existing "journal" threads on the board (which sometimes show up in different forums, if memory serves) could be moved into this new section for easier reference, too. Sometimes tanks take time and it's a shame when the journals get buried by time.

Great idea

I agree! for those of you who have read all my questions it has kinda ended up like a journal anyway... It would save those of us who know !!!!!nothing!!!!!, asking alot of questions if we have other's choices to guide us. actually one of my favorite sayings is " A wise man learns from other people's mistakes"!

After some deliberation we've decided to go ahead with an implementation based on several points. First we wanted to give the member who is presenting the journal some limited control of the content of their journal. It is, after all, their journal. Secondly we had to keep it somewhat organized.

To that end an entirely new section has been opened on the forum, at the bottom of the General tab (location may change based on feedback... actually quite a lot of this may change as we feel it all out). Inside you'll (eventually) find a list of member's names, each one a link to their own unique sections where they may start threads based on whatever they wish. Examples would be a different thread for each tank they have, detailing their progressions; or possibly a different thread for each DIY project the member would like to present to the community. The 'journalist' will also have the ability to lock or unlock each thread, based on their own desires for their subforum. Some people may wish to have all replies and feedback seperate from their works in progress... others may like their time lines dotted with the chatter and comments from the other members... to each their own. Other members in good standing would have the opportunity to reply to the threads that are open, and to participate in polls, etc as they are available.

Eventually this section may be migrated to a 'blog' type section if it proves successful, fully integrated with the forum. Or it may just be a few small subforums with a few small threads and wither away. This community is based solely on the participation of it's members, so you truly can make it whatever you want it to be. I think this idea carries a lot of merit, and can be a very successful part of our community and our offerings to the future of our hobby. I hope you'll agree, and put your best foot forward to present yourself to the world.

If you wish to have a subforum of your own, please send me a PM and ask me nicely. This requires a good bit of set up time, as it's not just a 'click and go' but I hope to streamline the system, soon. So if it takes me a couple hours, bear with me.

Those of you who dove into the section already and have been met with a fairly sparse initial offering... this is going to take time to get it rolling, but if a few members who maybe have other things posted elsewhere on the forum (couple of DIY threads, etc) wanted to get them organized into one area, that could make a nice start...?

Keep the ideas rolling forward!