question... guppy, salt, and mystery snail....

Erin

oka I have some guppies, and I know they like some salt... but I have a lotly little mystery snail in there... and from what I know about snails they REALLY don't like salt. is there a happy medium?? its for a 10 gal. Thanks.

Erin

Umm i have guppies and i have no salt in the tank and they are happy as clams but from what i've heard is that if you are going from salt to no salt you need to really be carefull to wean them off the salt and back into the not salted environment.

Good luck

L

I have guppies with some snails as well, I also use sea salt, and my snails seem very happy...to happy some of them..LOL

Really? I have just aquarium salt, I wouldn't be using full strength, I mad the mistake of putting a betta in there and he picked on my female so bad, now I kinda have to use some salt to help her poor back fin heal up. (never had a problem with my other betttas in with guppies guess it touch and go with them.)

Erin

I put salt in my guppy tank and in my betta tanks.Then one day I decided to put a couple of corydoras in with my baby bettas 10 gal. tank. I heard cory's do not like salt so I did not add any more salt when I did water changes. Then my baby bettas started to look weird. Some turned dark almost black, some went pale. Their tail fins were stuck together and a few of the smaller ones died. I checked on-line and found out it was from having salt in the tank then removing it too quickly. So I slowly added salt back to the tank, and the cory's are doing fine and the bettas are getting better. That was a tough lesson.

I have used a couple different kinds of salt, the first one was called Sea Salt, the one Ive used for the last bit is simply Aquarium Salt, I have also used table salt when I ran out of the other, I have so many snails I have taken hand fulls out and put them in the garbage, and even today I look in the tank and on one of the fake plants on every branch or twig there was at least one snail on it...snails everywhere...LOL

Lisa

Not sure if it's the same effect (or lack there of) but I use Aquarium Salt in my communities with no effect at all on my trumpets and /or rams horns. my cories have never shown any different behaviour after adding salt and neither have my bettas. only bad effect I have ever had after adding, were my amanos turning white.

on a side note: I find that very funny that your guppy picked on your betta. when I first introduced bettas into my 55g community which had guppies, I couldn't understand why the guppies were loosing their fancy tails... till oneday I saw a betta swimming around the tank with a guppy's tail in it's mouth, trailing the guppy behind it!