New to canister filters

Crystal

I have never had (or even seen) a canister filter. :unsure:

I am planning on replacing my AC110 on my 65g goldfish tank (will be heavily stocked when fish are full grown) with a better filter (the AC is starting to die).

I need a good filter that can cope with the copeous amounts of waste that full grown goldfish will be able to produce. I am pretty sure that I need a canister.

I am pretty sure I have narrowed the field down to either Rena or Eheim canisters.

Rena vs Eheim for:

reliability & endurance (NO leaks - if it leaks, the sub-floor could go)

noise (it is in a bedroom with a light sleeper)

easy to clean (at least to rinse off the sponge)

If Rena, I would go with the Xp3.

If Eheim, which model is best? (I saw a number of reviews where people had trouble with the ecco model).

What are their dimensions? The stand has a cubby space of 25" tall, 15" deep, and 10" wide. The only other surface is the ledge (ponywall) by the tank that sits just 4" under the top of the water level (9" wide).

I am also open to other ideas. I only have room for one filter due to power plugs available.

Eheims have a great reputation I'm only using one currently and have 3-4 sitting on a shelf. The one I'm using is quiet and has never given me a problem. But in my opinion the best bang for your buck are the rena Xp4's I know you were checking out the Xp3 but I have never used one so I am unsure about them, the Xp4's cost about the same as a small Eheim cannister and are easy to take apart and clean, you can throw any type of media into the baskets and of the 8 I have running I have never had a problem. I can take apart an Xp4 and clean it and have it back running in under 10 minutes every other canister I have takes much more time.

i run an xp3 on my 90 gallon and it works great! never had a problem with it. disassembled my whole tank and moved it last weekend and the rena filter took about 1 minute to take apart, and about 10 to fully clean! only thing i was told to watch out for is the rubber o ring in the top. they are known to crack after a while as they are not lubricated. in my opinion, rena is the best bang for your buck. 155-159 is what you can expect to pay for a xp3.

i run an xp4 xp3 and 304 on my 120 gallon.

they tend to kinda suck IMO = [

except taht 304, my 304's that i bought off another user a few months back work pretty good.

my 404 even works very good!

i wanna try eheim 2028 i think it's called.

a friend just got it and it sounds pretty dope.

IMHO Rena is the way to go as well.

One thing you might want to consider, as you are cleaning a goldfish tank.

You might want to use a larger filter like the xp4. The only differance between a 3 and a 4 (from what I can tell) is one more filter stack.

Based on the criteria you established:

reliability & endurance (NO leaks - if it leaks, the sub-floor could go) -- either is good.

noise (it is in a bedroom with a light sleeper) -- either is good

easy to clean (at least to rinse off the sponge) -- XP beats the classic on ease, but I no experience with the pro level of eheim

One other factor you might want to consider is which does a better job filtering. I think the design of eheims are better and do a better job with biological filtration.

I'm hooked on Eheim's personally, through and through. I've got one running solid for over 15 years now and you still can't hear it. IMO, you get what you pay for. I have Eheim Classic's running on just about every single tank I have running right now, and they're almost the only filter I feel confident buying used from anyone.

I'm running 3 of the xp3 filters and have no complaints.

i have a Eheim pro 2 2026, 2 Fluval 404 , 1 Fluval 204, 1 Rena xp1. i think they all work great none of them being noticeable noisier than the other. all of them have been 2nd hand filters. i dislike the Rena the most because of the sponge it seems harder to clean, while priming it i always spill water behind the tank. Eheim pro 2 is the easiest to prime, and it is not too bad to clean either. the fluval i think is the easiest to clean,