Britta water filter softens water?

fleshgear

i did a test of Britta water from a jug and Britta water from the type that mounts on the faucet compared to tap water and this is what i found.

Tap water GH 180 KH 100 PH 7.7

Britta jug water, filter is kinda old probably due for a change. GH 120 KH 50-60 PH 7.4

Britta from a faucet type with a filter newish filter GH 160 KH 100 PH 7.7

I am a little surprised that the faucet filter was almost the same as tap water, but the jug type seems to make a big difference.

Does anyone know what these readings are with an R/O system

i did a test of Britta water from a jug and Britta water from the type that mounts on the faucet compared to tap water and this is what i found.

Tap water GH 180 KH 100 PH 7.7

Britta jug water, filter is kinda old probably due for a change. GH 120 KH 50-60 PH 7.4

Britta from a faucet type with a filter newish filter GH 160 KH 100 PH 7.7

I am a little surprised that the faucet filter was almost the same as tap water, but the jug type seems to make a big difference.

Does anyone know what these readings are with an R/O system

I have no idea, but that is a very interesting test you did, we have the tap one for my shower and I know it is time for a change, because the pressure is not as good and you can see the rust coming through it within a day... but our water really sucks right now... just threw out my favorite dress sweaters due to rust puke from my washing machine...ugh...

From the Brita website:

How the Brita® Pitcher Filter works

As you’ll see below, the process may sound complicated, but it’s really quite simple. All it takes to create fresher, great-tasting water are three separate filtration processes packed into every Brita® Pitcher filter.

* A sieve and bottom filter mesh screen out larger particulate matter from the water

* Activated carbon granules act like a sponge, sucking up Chlorine (taste and odor)

* An Ion Exchange Resin acts like a magnet to attract and hold the impurities Lead, Copper, Mercury, Cadmium and Zinc, at the molecular level

How the Brita® Faucet Filter works

* An added layer around the filter traps large particulate matter from the water

* Activated powdered carbon acts like a sponge, sucking up Chlorine (taste and odor and Benzene)

* A zeolite acts like a magnet attracting Lead

This filter is basically used "to create fresher, great-tasting water". For better removal of impurities and to get softer water you would need a reverse osmosis system.

The rejection rates of RO (TFC) membranes are shown here. This rate varies depending on the exact chemistry, temperature, pressure, and TDS content of the feed water. If you add on a DI unit (de-ionization), you will get even purer water.

I use an RO/DI unit both for drinking water and fish water. Calgary water's TDS (total dissolved solids) is listed at anywhere from 164-304 mg/L. After filtration, I get a reading of 1-2 mg/L.

From the Brita website:
How the Brita® Pitcher Filter works

As you’ll see below, the process may sound complicated, but it’s really quite simple. All it takes to create fresher, great-tasting water are three separate filtration processes packed into every Brita® Pitcher filter.

* A sieve and bottom filter mesh screen out larger particulate matter from the water

* Activated carbon granules act like a sponge, sucking up Chlorine (taste and odor)

* An Ion Exchange Resin acts like a magnet to attract and hold the impurities Lead, Copper, Mercury, Cadmium and Zinc, at the molecular level

How the Brita® Faucet Filter works

* An added layer around the filter traps large particulate matter from the water

* Activated powdered carbon acts like a sponge, sucking up Chlorine (taste and odor and Benzene)

* A zeolite acts like a magnet attracting Lead

This filter is basically used "to create fresher, great-tasting water". For better removal of impurities and to get softer water you would need a reverse osmosis system.

The rejection rates of RO (TFC) membranes are shown here. This rate varies depending on the exact chemistry, temperature, pressure, and TDS content of the feed water. If you add on a DI unit (de-ionization), you will get even purer water.

I use an RO/DI unit both for drinking water and fish water. Calgary water's TDS (total dissolved solids) is listed at anywhere from 164-304 mg/L. After filtration, I get a reading of 1-2 mg/L.

I agree about the Brita filter. It's really only good to make water taste better not make it better. Personally I use the Espring water purification system. It can attatch right to my tap. Unlike the RO process you don't loose allot of the disolved solids in the water so PH isn't affected. What is bad for you is removed though. It also Has a UV light inside the unit that deals with any micro organisms that might make it through the water supply. It's also cheaper per liter than the Brita filters at 13.5 cents for the first year vs. 25 and 20 cents per liter every lliter.

I guess it's something to think about though it is intersting that the carbon filter in mine doesn't affect the PH values so maybe it's one of the other filter media that does it.

L

Fleshgear,

My results were tapwater 8.0, parents used brita 7.2, my Value Village filter with new cartridges 7.0. I do just use the ph drops to check the ph so test results are probably not terribly accurate. I run my aged water through the brita as I'm cleaning jars. Am putting a new pair in the spawn tank tonight so I'll see how it goes. Werner, that would make a great article, lol!!!

Fleshgear,

My results were tapwater 8.0, parents used brita 7.2, my Value Village filter with new cartridges 7.0. I do just use the ph drops to check the ph so test results are probably not terribly accurate. I run my aged water through the brita as I'm cleaning jars. Am putting a new pair in the spawn tank tonight so I'll see how it goes. Werner, that would make a great article, lol!!!

i swaped out both pairs of betta's in the breeding tanks. added the almond leaf. put the betta's in and today i just took out the divider on both tanks. they both had nests built in a day. hopefully everything goes well

Edited by fleshgear