2 dead algea eaters

RickJ

I have a 35 gal tank (4 red minor tetra's 5 guppies). Fully Cycled,

Water Parameters - 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates, 7.8 PH, Temp 26C.

All my other fish are doing very well.

2 of my 3 algea eaters died in the last day, can't yet find the 3rd.

Only change has been a new food that is small pellets rather then flakes.

Rick

What kind of algea eaters are they?

If they are the chinese algea eaters I maybe able to help. I had 2 of them for 2 years and I found that I had 1F and 1M My female was really fat and acting weird. Breeding behavior. If you have a female You can tell if they are much larger then the males, both length and body size. The female will hide out alot and chase the male(s) around. The female will end up killing the male(s). My female never ended up laying any eggs, she killed her mate to soon. I didnt see her for a few days and then she came out for a couple days then just died.

these algea eaters start to spawn or go into breeding behavior when the water temp rapidly changes and there is a very high flow rate. Like a river.

You could try celery as it couldn't hurt. They like their food soft so try steaming it and let it cool. No cheese whiz for them though!!

Along the lines of bottom feeders, what do bristel noses do best on?. AND how big do clown plecos get?

Bristlenoses are good with algae wafers or steamed pureed spinach in my experience. My tanks are planted so I don't feed them that often(I have over 2 dozen bristlenose right now). Wonder why I don't have an algae problem, hmmm!! Don't know the sizes on clown plecos though.