Depressed Mother Loses Her Children

roypark05

I noticed some of the other cichlids in my 75 gallon occasionally nabbing the odd jewel fry, so I removed all the fry. Since then the mother jewel has been depressed. Very little colour, won't stand up for herself any more, and she ignores papa jewel despite his best efforts. I hope she will get over this...

hopefully she doesnt become suicidal or homocidal. MAYBE shes bipolar. Post tramatic stress could be the case. Dont let her guilt trip you, dont fall for her tricks.

she should come out of it, try to find her a friend

come to think of it after I gave my gold fish to a friend with a pond their loach friend stayed with me and she jumped out of the tank 3x before her suicide was successful. Sadness.

Edited by Callie

I had the same problem with my convicts. Everytime i would take the fry out, there would be a period of 2-3 days where the parents would fight. Then they were always back at it a week later haha. She will get over it. Maybe next time you should leave a couple fry(5-10) just so she is happy.

I found the parents weren't so depressed if you only removed most of the fry. That's what i'd do next time if i were you. Theother option is getting a breeding net and placeing the babies in there. the mother can still see them and doesn't get depressed. If they don't get back together then you can remove the female or male from the tank and then reintroduce them after a few days. Good luck

L

P,S. the colour usually fades after the fry are no longer dependent until the next breeding time. Give them a few days and they should start another batch of fry for you.

I found the parents weren't so depressed if you only removed most of the fry. That's what i'd do next time if i were you. Theother option is getting a breeding net and placeing the babies in there. the mother can still see them and doesn't get depressed. If they don't get back together then you can remove the female or male from the tank and then reintroduce them after a few days. Good luck

L

P,S. the colour usually fades after the fry are no longer dependent until the next breeding time. Give them a few days and they should start another batch of fry for you.

thanks...they seem happy again!