Schultz's aquasoil

jonnytens

I quite like it and have had no problems. Others I know who've used it also quite like it. Make sure you rinse it out like you would laterite - the Schultz bags say "won't cloud water" but what that actually means is that once the substrate is settled, it won't break down further and cause water issues. It is also more porous than laterite and you'll get a strange rice krispies audible effect when you initially wet it.

In addition to being dirt cheap (pardon the pun), another plus is that it is actually very attractive... I wouldn't cover it other substrate myself. Visually, I prefer it to laterite.

Another forum that I go on (mostly Americans) is very big on the stuff. They basically turn their nose up at laterite (which I still like!) and swear by Schulz. I personally have never tried it, mostly just because I have so much laterite on hand.

• 3 years later...

Once pond season kicks up, you should be able to find it at the big box hardware stores in the outdoor garden centers.

Called a bunch of places and no one seems to have it although a few have it on order, I bought a bag of brown fluorite with hopes to mix it but I didn't realize how much the color differed until I got home, now I'm pondering whether to mix or get another bag of fluorite...

I found a place locally that is listed as a Turface MVP dealer and have called about availability and cost but not heard back yet, would anyone else be interested in splitting a bag?

Edited by blink

I used it for some time. I found it very light and plants had to be tied down to a rock to keep planted. Then I covered it in regular gravel. When I was using it I found that I had some ammonia readings, later found that it has little ammonia balls in it. It did no harm to the plants or fish, but is there. Also plants loved the stuff.