New fish won't eat

soliver

I recently purchased 2 Wildcaught Orange Necktie Severums.

I put them in a tank with some juviniles. I was a little worried that the severums would injure the others since they are full grown but they havent touched them.

I brought them home a couple of days ago, and made sure i accustomed them to the water. The next morning i went to feed and they werent interested in the food. I figured the food i was feeding the other fish was too small for them to notice, so i got some larger NLS pellets and they still aren't eating. They both are very shy and stay as far away as possible. Im a little worried about them since they cost me $120. Is there a special food that i should be feeding severums? What should i do?

They are in the 210 Gallon with a bunch of other Cichlids. Biggest fish in there is 4 inches. What is garlic guard and where do i find it. Im afraid that if i try to feed specific food, that the rest of the fish will eat it before they get a chance.

its a natural garlic extract. you can get it at pisces for a decent price. cant remember how much. its great to help with parasites. its a natural repellant for fish as well as dogs. great for flea control. check it out, i have only heard good things about it.

They need some time to settle into their new surroundings, this is very common with WC severums. Trust me, if they are healthy, they will eventually eat, and once they start they will eat plenty. :) Don't panic, just give them some time.

BTW - the correct name for this species is Rotkeil severum, I'm surprised that they would have been labeled with a trade name such as orange necktie, if they are indeed wild caught.

Here's what they can look like when fed a premium diet. (one of boydo's Rotkeil)

bret1.jpg

Did you not quarantined these fish first?? Wild caught fish can bring in all kinds of issues you do not want to expose your other fish to. By quarantining them first, you can treat them and get them eating well before putting them in your display tank.

I bought them at a the pet superstore in Sherwood park. They have been there for a little while now, and there very good at keeping there fish healthy. I was keeping an eye on them in the store for a while, and they never had any signs of anything wrong. I am surprised as well that they were labeled wrong. The picture that is above looked identical to the ones I have. They have the very strong red/orange coloration and there black stripes are dark. When you say give them time....how much time are we talking?

Thanks for all the replies.

Doesn't Rotkeil mean red throat in German? So if that is the case, I guess they have been given a English translated name..... kind of.

Nice looking fish btw

ohn

Edited by geleen

Orange necktie is a trade name that a local supplier in these parts uses, hence the reason why I was curious as to why they were labeled as such, vs Rotkeil, which is what I would think most exporters/importers of wc fish would use. Either way, no biggie. The fact that they have been there a while, and show no outward health issues, doesn't mean that you are completely out of the woods. Fish can carry pathogens (especially wc fish) and have a built up immunity towards those specific bugs, where the rest of your tank raised fish may not. So even if your new fish appear healthy, they can pass on something nasty that simply isn't causing them any serious issues at the moment. You took a gamble, I guess with time you'll find out if it was worth the risk, or not.

As far as how much time to give them, well certainly more than just a couple of days. Imagine being collected in the wild, netted, bagged & transported, again & again, until you finally end up in yet another new tank, with strange fish, especially mbuna. You'd be stressed too. It may take them a week or two (or longer) before they settle in to their new surroundings. If they otherwise look & act healthy, they can go for a few weeks without eating.

Thats what i was thinking. I really don't have a hospital tank big enough to keep them in. The risk was pretty much a must. I could have moved other fish around, and put them in the 55 but then the polits + the finally recovered ruby red peacocks would have to get moved, causing more stress on recovering fish. I don't really know if i had any other option. I will defiantly keep that in mind for the future. So you said that the wild caught fish can be immune to a disease. Does that mean i have to treat for everything just to prevent a possible outbreak? Thanks to everyone who has helped and i will keep you posted on how there condition is.

No worries, been there, done that. Not a great idea, but sometimes the urge is simply too strong to resist. :)

Any fish is capable of building an immunity towards various pathogens, and becoming a carrier. I wouldn't treat for anything at this point, it will only cause further stress on your new fish.