What's the quietest air pump?

Boom

I need a new air pump for the 10g tank in my son's room. The one I have now is too LOUD! It's just a cheap Topfin brand.

I need just a basic pump, single output, doesn't have to be powerful, but I would like one that is almost silent.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Boom :boom:

I need a new air pump for the 10g tank in my son's room. The one I have now is too LOUD! It's just a cheap Topfin brand.

I need just a basic pump, single output, doesn't have to be powerful, but I would like one that is almost silent.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Boom :boom:

I like the tetra whisper air pumps, they seem pretty quiet to me and I've never had a problem with them. Plus you can get them at walmart for cheap.

• 2 months later...

Our small tetra whisper 20 is the loudest part of our setup, and reminds me of an old frige ready to die. Our Whisper 100 was turned on for all of 5 minutes before it was reboxed due to the racket. We are going to try setting the airpump in the basement and running the airline up.

I would by one from a store with a decent retun policey and keep the recipt, and look to noise reduction options, such as running on a bit of sponge, behind a shelf, etc. . Noise is subjective at the best of times.

Any recommendations?

I don't think there is such a thing :shock: I have 3 kinds in the drawer for that reason,

J

Have you tried putting the noisy ones on a piece of fabric? I have some old ones I use for breeding tanks and I find the fabric stops them from sliding around and muffles the sound. Just a thought!

• 3 weeks later...

I Have carpet so i put the pump on the carpet and run the line from there. Otherwise i'd definitely bundle some fabric under it or something to cushion it from it's surroundings. If anyone wants my super foam backed carpet scraps to put their air pumps on then let me know I did this when i ran out of tubing and had to have it right next to the tank on my dresser in my bedroom. Bring an exacto knife and you can have a piece. The foam is great because it stops it from sliding and the carpet keeps the sound down to nothing. the only sound should hear is from the noisy air bubbles in the tank itself and even my cheapest ones are silent when on the carpet. There is always the hide it and run the line from somewhere else option.

Good luck

L