Small Tragedy

stribbelldk

I noticed an electric yellow cichlid holding a few days back so I netted her and put her in a 15 gallon. I was waiting for her to spit the fry then give her a chance at a few meals then put her back in the main tank.

Two days ago I noticed she was "hiding" in a fake plastic castle I had in the 15 gal. Yesterday she still had not come out of hiding, so I when in to remove the castle. Much to my surprise the yellow was trapped in the very top. Her head was wedged between the edge and another piece.

It is a good thing these ornaments are "top quality". I started physically breaking pieces off the castle until I was able to free her.

She had suffer some major damage to her scales from thrashing around, and her gill was pretty messed up too. I immediately put her into a small hard plastid breeders trap and treated with some stress coat and salt. The next morning she was really bruised and swiming funny. She died a few hours later!!

The lesson I learned from this experience is: Keep a close eye on all my fish. If I don't see one, find him!! Also I have pull all my plastic "traps" out of my tanks and only have slate, wood, coconut shells, PVC pipe and pots for decoration

Derek

I noticed an electric yellow cichlid holding a few days back so I netted her and put her in a 15 gallon. I was waiting for her to spit the fry then give her a chance at a few meals then put her back in the main tank.

Two days ago I noticed she was "hiding" in a fake plastic castle I had in the 15 gal. Yesterday she still had not come out of hiding, so I when in to remove the castle. Much to my surprise the yellow was trapped in the very top. Her head was wedged between the edge and another piece.

It is a good thing these ornaments are "top quality". I started physically breaking pieces off the castle until I was able to free her.

She had suffer some major damage to her scales from thrashing around, and her gill was pretty messed up too. I immediately put her into a small hard plastid breeders trap and treated with some stress coat and salt. The next morning she was really bruised and swiming funny. She died a few hours later!!

The lesson I learned from this experience is: Keep a close eye on all my fish. If I don't see one, find him!! Also I have pull all my plastic "traps" out of my tanks and only have slate, wood, coconut shells, PVC pipe and pots for decoration

Derek

I've lost an angelfish and gourami that way too. Always feel bad when something preventable causes a fish's death. Sorry for your loss, especially when she was holding.

sorry about the loss. similar thing happened to me awhile back. my ryukin goldfish swam into a knocked over ornament and couldnt get out because the gills were in the way. i tried pulling the thing apart but it was some strong plastic and the thrashing didnt help. i ended up using a hammer and prying apart the ornament. The fish was fine with some scales missing.