help befor my house floods

zuzes2001

so i made a filter now the intake lets to much water in to the holding sell or the out take lets to much water out back in to the tank theres shut offs that allow me to control the water speed to bothe the intake and out take but i can never get it just write it lets to much water out or not enough in to the holding sell witch makes it over flow or the tank over flow

Edited by zuzes2001

I'm having trouble understanding what your filter look like. Pics and punctuation would help a lot.

I can't make much sense of your writing, but from what I can see it doesn't look like you're useing an overflow, without everything being absolutely airtight and able to withstand the pressure you are going to have problems. An overflow would solve the problems, properly adjusted it allows only enough water to flow from your tank to fill the filter.

By the looks of your set-up you are headed for disaster. You don't have an overflow (we're talking about a portion of the display tank sectioned off where water can only enter from the top). It looks like you have a direct siphon, which means that if the power goes out or your pump fails, most of the main tank will be siphoned into your sump, which of coarse can't handle that volume of water and will flood.

Have you tried unplugging the pump to see what happens?

Boom :boom:

By the looks of your set-up you are headed for disaster. You don't have an overflow (we're talking about a portion of the display tank sectioned off where water can only enter from the top). It looks like you have a direct siphon, which means that if the power goes out or your pump fails, most of the main tank will be siphoned into your sump, which of coarse can't handle that volume of water and will flood.

Have you tried unplugging the pump to see what happens?

Boom :boom:

Yeah.... from the looks of it, if the power goes out, almost 2/3 of the water will end up on the floor :shock:

It took over a month for me to set up my sump and get it all running. The one addition I made that made my life easier is to plumb in a bypass with a valve in my return that could divert water back to the sump. You can decrease the amount of water that is going back to the tank and help you balance it with the water flowing into the sump. It makes life much easier.

Kudos on building a sump on a budget. Your're gonna need those bucks you saved if your power goes out and you flood. :mad: I agree that you really need to get an overflow on that tank to stop it from overflowing if your power goes out.

You need your intake tube to turn and go back to the top like an over flow and to aid in starting you could us a one way air line valve in the top of the loop to suck air out and water in......there is a really good DIY type over flow on MFK to look at.

Right now it might just drain your tank completely...

100% both your input (ie Overflow) and return will drain your tank in a power outage.

If for some freak instance it does not, it will overflow your tank once the power comes back on.

As previously mentioned, check out the MFK DIY section, in the stickies there is a thread on PVC overflow. There are also several other threads on sump building, to ensure you have it setup properly.

I have made a couple of each and once you understand them they are really easy....

I am completely confused by this post and your setup looks like you should have disaster recovery on stand by but.. with no overflow here is how you solve your problem in case of a power outage.

Figure out where your tank will drain to before it overflows your tupperware tub. Then drill a hole in each of the pvc tubes going from the sump to the tank right at the top just below the water surface. Therefore in case your pumps stops operating the syphon will break when the water level drops below the drilled hole. Even if you have an overflow this is good practice as if your intakes are low in the tank it will keep syphoning.

lol thanks guys i did what you said and drilled 2 holes in the out taks it worked great i did have everything up and runing the filter works great just could not think of a way to stop in case of a flood but now i no thanks sorry have not been on

Edited by zuzes2001