5.5G planted nano

bignose

It's been awhile so here is a update.

There have been no more shrimp casualites so it wasen't the ferts but my neglagence of not having a heater. I have stabalized the temperature @ 78F and hid the heater in the back of my tank. I have dosed .1ml of excel and iron a couple of times now. I'm happy so say there hasen't been any plant degrading as of yet. I hope it stays that way!

I also picked up a plant from a fellow aqauriust and put it on the piece of wood. I hope that it will root into the wood.

Here is a picture of the tank as of Feb. 28th

plantedfeb28.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have those snails everywhere in my tanks, I have to scope them out every couple weeks and chuck them... but Snails and Shrimp seem to enjoy each others company...

I have to agree that those Red Crystals well look fantastic in that tank :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
I'm starting to get these little snail around my tank. Seems there's more every day.

snail.jpg

sorry about the pic it's the closest I can zoom without loosing focus.

Should I worry about these?

any updates?

I lost the charger to my camera so I don't have pictures. When I find it I'll post some pics.

My tank is doing very good. Shrimp are doing great eating all the algae they can find. The tank has no visible algae on plants, gravel and glass thanks to the little hitchhiker snails. Hemianthus growth is so small I can't even tell but still looks healthy. Anubias is healthy and growing new leaves. Pogostemon has suprised me the most because it's the hardest plant to grow in my tank and it's growing the fastest. They are growing so fast that they have grown to the top of the water and are now blanketing the surface. Can I cut the tops off and plant them? On the plastic label that came with the pogostemon the picture of the plant has red stems mine don't, anyone know why or have a solution?

I also got a new plant that came with the shrimp I bought. I have no idea what it is but when I find my camera I'll post a pic.

Here is the schedule I have chosen for my tank:

- treated tap water change(25%) every month

- dose .1ml of excel and iron once a week

- feed shrimp every 3 days

- 10-11hrs. light/day

Looks great. Yes you can trim the pogostemon and replant it, you can do this with any stem plants. The reason you see some have red and yours don't, is because you need to dose with iron if you want red plants to turn red. I would recommend dosing by the EI as well, then you will definitely see some good growth with your plants. Tom Barr even did some research on how ferts affect shrimp, and he found they didn't seem to have any negative effects. You can find the post in his forum.

Edit: And I noticed your new plant is riccia. Unfortunately it is naturally a floating plant, so it will not root itself to the wood. You will need to use some mesh to hold it onto the wood if you want a nice carpet effect, otherwise it will all just keep floating to the surface.

Edited by firestorm

On the plastic label that came with the pogostemon the picture of the plant has red stems mine don't, anyone know why or have a solution?

They will turn purplish red in very high light levels. If they aren't doing it now that they've reached the top of your tank, then they may never get the red coloring. :( Keeping nitrates low can induce more red pigmentation in some plants too.

I found the charger to my camera so here are the pictures.

2shrimptank033109.jpg

FTS

shrimptank033109.jpg

Pic after I cut the tops off the tall plants and planted them in the right rear side of the tank. The new plant I got with the shrimp is on the left side of the tank.

I never thought about entering. I think there's still room for improvement. Perhaps I stuck a arrowana in there?

A baby might just fit and it could feed off of the inverts for a healthy snack!