Confused

FishBrain

what is the difference and how do you tell which is which

Aulonocara baenschi

Aulonocara maleri

Both say they are sunshine Peacocks

But pictures look different or same depending on where you look

:ml:

Aulonocara baenschi is species of it's own, and it's type locality is Nkhomo Reef. Aulonocara sp. 'stuartgranti maleri' is essentially a yellow stuartgranti type, most often exported (at least by Stuart) from Maleri Island. They do look very similar, but the baenschi has a curved snout, whereas the Maleri has a straight snout. If you have Malawi Cichlids in their natural habitat (3rd edition), both fish are pictured on the same page, and you can easily see the difference in the snouts. I'd suspect that these are highly hybridized due to their similarity. Someone not knowing what they have, attempting an ID, finding a pic of a yellow peacock, figuring that's what they have, and then buying more for the group is easy enough to do.

I know Canadbis (hi Mathew ) and we were discussing this very topic. I bought these from the breeders auction and was told they were Aulonocara baenschi. I would like your opinion, African Fever,and I know the picture is bad. Thanks in advance. Also I heard it can be a long time (2 years ) before the males color changes? Is this true? I look forward to your presentation at the CAS meeting. Regards Harold

Edited by HOSStile

Not sure how much experience you have with the camera (probably more than me, or at least I hope you do :lol:) but make sure using flash that you shoot at an angle to keep the reflection off....

How large are they? Most of the yellow peacocks that I've seen have FULL colour by the time they're 3" (often at 2"), and those don't appear to have any yellow to me. I also have to agree with apollo, the pics that I've got of both baenshi's and maleri's don't have any black in the dorsal like yours does.

Edited by African_Fever

I have no idea what they are then. At 4" the male should be showing full colour, and in your pics he doesn't look to have too much more colour than a female. That's too bad. Peacocks are a very difficult fish to buy anywhere. They hybridize amongst the variants/species so easily, that's it's often impossible to tell exactly what you have. It's too bad, b/c there are a lot of people who get into African's with peacocks (I know I did), and then sell the 'unknown' fry as blue peacocks, leaving the next person trying to ID them as well. Personally, I'd never buy any peacocks that weren't coloured without seeing the parents first unless I was buying them from a dependable source.