bad father!

fleshgear

i have put another female in a chimney in the tank with this guy again. i did a 50% water change with ro water before i added the female this time and added some black water expert. the peat bag is still in the tank along with a half of an almond leaf. he is already building a nest again. i will let her go Friday night. this time once they spawn i will remove both male and female this time. add some methylene blue and put a sponge filter in for circulation.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so that you know, even use experienced breeders have egg eaters..

I just removed a female from the breeding tank and the males belly is very very full.. and he is the crowntail I already have fry from...

They do it, for whatever their reasons are... I hate it when it happens though!

the personality of this male is unlike any other betta i have seen. he always flares even when i walk up to the tank and when i put my finger on the glass. and with a female he really flares and likes to show off. i have never seen him bit the females only chasing them and circling. mean while in the other tank i have had a pair together for about a week and they are just swimming around looking at each other like they are saying now what? when i walk up to that tank they mostly just hide under the almond leaf or in the corner. he has an alright nest built but they wont seem to do anything. i turned the heat up a little to 80 degrees.

Okay mumba, I tried your peat idea and will let you know. My spawn attempts are going well but I'm not happy with the amount of fry I lose. Am hoping the peat will give them more infusoria. I have 2 spawns today but may have an egg eater in one of them. Anything to increase the number of fry will help!! Thanks for your suggestions.

i had a different pair in the tank beside the bad father and the two of them were just swimming around not really caring about each other. i was just about going to give up on them when i came home to see that they had spawned. unfortunately the next morning i woke up to no more eggs.

the ct male and his partner were not doing anything, the female was always hiding. so i swapped out the female with a different one.

i also went and found another nice looking ct male. he seems a little young but looks good. they aren't really doing anything yet but it hasn't been very long so i will wait and see what happens.

the bad father spawned again. i was watching them closley this time and i was waiting till they were done and i was going to take both of them out.

well i had super and when i checked again he had eaten most of the eggs again, there was maybe 10 left. i took them out, turned on the air and put some methylene blue in. the other ct male in the tank beside his also spawned at the same time. i left him in, i will give him a chance. even though 4 of my last spawns i lost all eggs.

the bad father spawned again. i was watching them closley this time and i was waiting till they were done and i was going to take both of them out.

well i had super and when i checked again he had eaten most of the eggs again, there was maybe 10 left. i took them out, turned on the air and put some methylene blue in. the other ct male in the tank beside his also spawned at the same time. i left him in, i will give him a chance. even though 4 of my last spawns i lost all eggs.

That sucks, I keep reading BlackMumba's and fishclubgirl's posts about breeding these guys and they said something about them prefering 'dirtier' water...i'm trying it...well, letting the water be dirty that is.

Okay, honest I saw both of them spawn. Can't see a single fry!!! Aargh!!! I guess I'll set up 2 more pairs and hope for the best. Amazed that this fish survives!!

Okay mumba, I tried your peat idea and will let you know. My spawn attempts are going well but I'm not happy with the amount of fry I lose. Am hoping the peat will give them more infusoria. I have 2 spawns today but may have an egg eater in one of them. Anything to increase the number of fry will help!! Thanks for your suggestions.

Okay, I just pulled my male after the fastest spawn I've ever had using the Keta peat nuggets. They spawned within 24 hours and I have little guys!! I did take out the other pair as they didn't seem into it. So I'll keep using the peat and hopefully I'll get more fry. Dad's gorgeous and mom's not bad either. I sometimes use Atison's betta spa so there's no salt in my water. IMHO,lowering the ph, almond leaves, blackwater extract and really heating them up(85 degrees) helps. As well I'm sold on "Spawn aid". However having many breeding pairs helps as well as the ability to spot a breedable fish(or a female pk,lol) helps too. Thanks for the tip, mumba!!