Where are all the CA keepers at!!

Parachromis1

I think I should sell most of my oscars, but a pair. I might try again with a jag or a flowerhorn

This is a no flowerhorn zone.

I like filthy hybrids :thumbs: I am not sure what else I could put with a oscar pair that wont beat the crap out of it :boxer:

I'm pretty sure the flowerhorns will eventually beat the crap our of your oscars. :boxer:

of course it would, If I got one I would keep in in a 75 gallon.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone see the beautiful flowerhorns on display at golds? Did I forget to add my oscar to my list of CA's lol.

Just confused, but how is it possible to get a wild caught flowerhorn if they are hybrids? I personally don't like flowerhorns because of their extreme aggression, and I prefer not to waste a large tank on 1 fish alone. As for oscars they are awesome :D My 11" oscar is one of the best fish I have, they have awesome personalities.

Ryan, that cuban is beautiful and for that kind of money it's a steal :thumbs:

Did anyone see the beautiful flowerhorns on display at golds? Did I forget to add my oscar to my list of CA's lol.

Just confused, but how is it possible to get a wild caught flowerhorn if they are hybrids? I personally don't like flowerhorns because of their extreme aggression, and I prefer not to waste a large tank on 1 fish alone. As for oscars they are awesome :D My 11" oscar is one of the best fish I have, they have awesome personalities.

Ryan, that cuban is beautiful and for that kind of money it's a steal :thumbs:

Its a Trimac cichlid. The "real" flowerhorn lol aka the base of all Fhs out there. Nice fish.

Although this fish isn't mine ,because I gave it to my mom, its still kinda mine because I gave her a 125 gallon for her Fronts. I guess that makes me a fish pimp.

IMG_9449.jpg

Hey Guys. Have been looking into All the New world cichlids last few months, hopping to set a tank or two up by summer, was especially interested in the EB Jack Dempseys, but have since decided to stay away at least for now until i gain more experience based on what i have been reading all over the net in regards to their health (or lack there of) Just wondering if anyone could forward me a really good link for species profiles for New World Cichlids, or even for SA and CA specific ......would be appreaciated...........Also, went to Calgary a for a couple days came back thursday with the intent of hitting up Golds for the first time on my way out of town, but of course they were closed......on thursday!! :P Anyways Also curious if you guys have any tips for where i should /could buy aquariums in the edmonton area (possibly even calgary if savings are bigger like ive been told?!)

:thumbs:

CHeers

Google is your bestfriend when it comes to fish. Hang around enough and you'll be able to ask the pros too. ALSO, no one really always has the best deal when it comes to tanks and accessories, you need to shop around to find the best deal.

Alright, thanks guys I Appreaciate it. Been USing Google a lot, just some stuff is confusing especially with all the scientific names, as well as varying opinions of course. As far as tanks go, from my quick browse i noticed that Pisces in Calgary had some good prices, also been looking on kijiji but im really nervous about going that way especially as im new at this, only had some small tanks years ago.

Well the best thing is google, Edmonton LFS as a whole don't have a big selection of CA/SA cichlids. You will see a lot of oscars, jack dempseys, firemouths. You may probably have to jump in on a group order to get some of the rarer (at least in Edmonton) cichlids. Most of my CA were bought from Spencer Jack in Winnipeg, and a couple of the others from forum members. Currently I keep for Centrals:

Thorichthys sp. Mixteco

Amphilophus nourissati

exCichlasoma bocourti

Herichthys pearsei

Cryptoheros nanoleuteus 'Rio Rabala'

Thorichthys pasionis

Vieja argentea

I no longer have:

Thorichthys maculipinnis (I think Sue bought my group of 6 at the ACE auction)