Tiger barbs in my 40gal

aquaticapinoy

right now i currently have 40gal tall aqaurium with a Eclipse 3 system and a fluval 305 as well for added filtration

1 gourami (5')

1 clown loach (3')

1 albino cory (1.5')

1 chinese algae eater (4')

2 bristle nosed algae eater (3.5')

i was wondering if i could add 10-15 tiger barbs into the tank? what do you guys think?

Edited by aquaticapinoy

Gourami's are relatively peaceful fish...and Tiger barbs tend to be more aggressive, nit picky...it's completely up to you to keep them together...but if you're going to have 10-15 tiger barbs in the tank, it might be best to find the gourami another tank. But, you never know...;) Good Luck.

Gourami's are relatively peaceful fish...and Tiger barbs tend to be more aggressive, nit picky...it's completely up to you to keep them together...but if you're going to have 10-15 tiger barbs in the tank, it might be best to find the gourami another tank. But, you never know...;) Good Luck.

the gourami is quite large (i would save even close to 6inches) will that play factor in any? from what ive read, the tiger barbs (as long as you get 5+) should only school by themselves and don't usually bother bigger fish?

the gourami is quite large (i would save even close to 6inches) will that play factor in any? from what ive read, the tiger barbs (as long as you get 5+) should only school by themselves and don't usually bother bigger fish?

My bet is, the Tiger Barbs will not be able to resist nipping the long trailing ventral fins of the gourami, no matter how large it is. Try them together but be prepared to remove the gourami very quickly if the barbs start on the ventral fins.

I added a group of 15+ to a community tank and those guys pretty much picked on everybody who wasn't faster than them, size didn't seam to matter, all the other fish were completely ragged in a matter of days,...the only thing that quelled the TB's was being moved into the Oscar tank where the lasted almost a full two weeks, my wife called them "Twinkie barbs"...

FYI, The Clown Loach can get up to over a foot big. Will eventually need a bigger tank

ive had my clown loach for almost a year, and he hasn't grown since ive gotten him... and the previous owner said he's had the loach for almost a year too... so that's two year old loach.. and he's still the same size... and i have a 70gal tank that my clown loach can go into when he gets too big (if and when that happends)

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: i love my clown loach, he's soo fun to watch....

FYI, The Clown Loach can get up to over a foot big. Will eventually need a bigger tank

ive had my clown loach for almost a year, and he hasn't grown since ive gotten him... and the previous owner said he's had the loach for almost a year too... so that's two year old loach.. and he's still the same size... and i have a 70gal tank that my clown loach can go into when he gets too big (if and when that happends)

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: i love my clown loach, he's soo fun to watch....

Be prepared to have even more fun with that loach when he starts to school with and think he's a tiger barb...

I agree that either taking the gourami out or adding another on is your best bet, if you take him out you could easily add those tigers in. If you want want to take him out I would drop the amount of tigers you want to 5ish. IMO