50 Gallon Planted

devocole

Indeed, wow those starphire glass tanks look nice.

He must be very happy he didn't go with the ADA Equivalent tank/stand like his original plan which would have ended up costing him more.

Hope this turns out really good Devon, you've been planning it for a long time, so good luck!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup i went to the HD mentioned. Brought my conduit to the rental section and asked if he would be willing to help me out. He was more then happy to, especially for a little DIY project. I offered him 5 bucks to buy a coffee but he said a positive online review would be more then enough. Thanks for all the comments. I really like the look too. My current concerns are still whether the light is going to hold, and whether i should look into getting a wire hanging kit that i can move up and down, will make it easier to get into the tank and work if i could raise it up.

Indeed, wow those starphire glass tanks look nice.

He must be very happy he didn't go with the ADA Equivalent tank/stand like his original plan which would have ended up costing him more.

Hope this turns out really good Devon, you've been planning it for a long time, so good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

DSC03219.jpg

Hooked up all the plumbing for a test run and it wasn't a success. The DIY inline reactor above is too loud for my liking. I am asking for advice right now under the DIY section. What a pain. If anyone has any ideas, or advice for a CO2 reactor out of the tank that works and is quiet, i would love to know.

Thanks

Devon

• 1 month later...

Come a good ways since my last post. I've found an initial hardscape using rocks from the rockies. And Im starting the dry start method with HC.

DSC03256.jpg

Day 1

DSC03262.jpg

After 1 week

DSC03266.jpg

After 2 weeks

DSC03267.jpg

• 2 months later...

DSC03321.jpg

DSC03334.jpg

So everything has grown in and it looks good. I'm going away for a month or so and am planning on leaving it immersed until then.

• 6 months later...

Just wondering how everything is look.. Also where do you find HC seeds. I want to try this in my 14G seemless. It looks like poop right now and I'm waiting until March to do it but its the plan anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Erin. I didn't use seeds. Just bought a small HC pot, pulled it into parts and spread it out. Really quite easy.

Edited by devocole

Due to plumbing attempt number 2 not working in September (see below) and also being a loser, the tank has sit as such until now. The HC grew big and thick and started to rot underneath so i pulled it all and planted it again.

DSC03773-1.jpg

DSC03774-1.jpg

DSC03776-1.jpg

So after realizing that an Eheim 2217 was not enough to push water through my system i decided to buy a pump and change everything. Started with a 600 g/hr pump, an Ocean Clear external filter, that stupid CO2 PVC reactor and the hydor external heater, and 1/2 inch tubing. So when all put together and the pump turned on I got no flow and a fitting on the pump actually broke. So I took it back and got a 1200 g/hr pump and still it wouldn't push water effectively. So that was that.

I decided to change the plan and remove ball valves, most of the 90 degree angle fittings, and change the diameter to 3/4 inch tubing, and use semi rigid PVC tubing. So after making this plan i realized that the external hydor heaters do not come in 3/4 inch only 1/2 and 5/8. So i discovered another solution, a lifeguard aquatics heater module where you essentially can plug in an in tank heater to a external circuit, its hard to explain. So thats where i sit as of now. I'm just waiting to have the heater module shipped to me this week and plumbing attempt number 3 will be underway.

Edited by devocole

• 4 months later...

New and improved plumbing. And my favorite shot with the moon light. I've added a school of 30 emerald eye rasbora and 4 ottocinclus. And now Tiger val behind the rocks. Pictures will come when everything is clean and growing perfect.

DSC03787.jpg

DSC03788.jpg

DSC03792.jpg

DSC03805.jpg

DSC03810-1.jpg