Mbuna for a 29G?

dredd0606

When I got into the cichlid hobby I had to learn the hard-way. My largest tank, currently, is a 21 gallon and when I first start I had four cichlids which fought a lot! I removed one and found that the alpha would pick-on the remaining, more-docile fish. So I ended up moving him into his own 10gallon tank. I would like to suggest though that you start-off slowly adding fish and closely monitor their behavior with one another.

As for the selection of colorful fish that option is really up to you.

Where you thinking of having an all-male tank?

Edited by Gnaw

I wouldn't suggest it but you can get smaller dwarf cichlids that might be ok in a 29 gallon. I wouldn't go with a mbuna tank since they have a dendancy to be very aggressive. There are alwasy exceptions to every rule. So i give it a try and see what happens

A couple of years ago I started a Mbuna tank, but my tank as a long 45Gallon, and I was able to keep about 25 fish in there until recently when I decided to switch it to Tangs. Before though, I kept Yellow Labs, Saulosi, Elongatus, Ndumbi, and probably some other, I just have a bad memory...the biggest problems came about when they all started breeding and competing. I can't say i'd suggest it, but like someone else said, try it and find out what happens. Or you could go for some colorful dwarf rainbows and a bunch of other similar? Good luck anyways.

A couple of years ago I started a Mbuna tank, but my tank as a long 45Gallon, and I was able to keep about 25 fish in there until recently when I decided to switch it to Tangs. Before though, I kept Yellow Labs, Saulosi, Elongatus, Ndumbi, and probably some other, I just have a bad memory...the biggest problems came about when they all started breeding and competing. I can't say i'd suggest it, but like someone else said, try it and find out what happens. Or you could go for some colorful dwarf rainbows and a bunch of other similar? Good luck anyways.

If it's a 3' tank then you can have either 10 Haplochromis sp. "ruby green" or 10 Paralabidochromis sp. "redfin piebald". You could possibly mix the two species as well, keeping two smaller groups with one male in each. In larger groups the male/female ratio is less important.

If it's a 2' tall tank then maybe a small group of ruby green and then some other fish for the upper layer.

You can also keep a small group of the more peaceful Malawi cichlids like Labidochromis or Iodotropheus sprengeraes (Rusty cichlid). I've kept Kimpuma Labs in a 25G for a few years without problems (except excessive breeding :lol: ).

Another option is to keep just males but from different species: you'll have a variety of colors without too much aggressivity.

Thanks everyone. In this particular tank, I think going with all males is going to give me the best coloration. Should I go with 1 male per species, or 2? Also, is there a list somewhere of dwarf cichlids with pictures? Thanks again!

Dredd

1 male, if you have 2 they'll likely compete. Check out this for more info:

http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/all-male_malawi.php

Here's some dwarf's that are common, that you might want to investigate:

Demasoni

Cynotilapia afra

Metriaclima sp. "Msobo"

Pseudotropheus saulosi

Pseudotropheus Polit

Iodotropheus sprengerae

Melanochromis cyano.