3 yr transformation of Phenochilus

RD.

Just thought I would share the transformation of my Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" that I acquired from

Valerie (degrassi) back in the spring of 2006. These fish are most certainly late bloomers, but well worth the wait.

Thanks again Val!

June 2006

fish136.JPG

Feb 2007

fish398.JPG

June 2007

fish509.JPG

Dec 2007

fish670.JPG

March 2009

wallpaper16.jpg

Edited by RD.

Thanks! And overall this is a fairly sub dom fish, with no females in the tank.

Interestingly enough the best looking male out of the two was at one time very sub dom in this tank, and over the first 10 months in my tank spent most of his time hiding behind the rocks. (yet he still had better spangling/color than the dom male) His sibling constantly harassed him until one day he decided he'd had enough and laid a licking on his brother. While the fighting didn't result in any damage, they went at it for a couple of hours (circling each other & then lip locking) until out of sheer exhaustion the dom male gave up, and a new king emerged. Two years later and they have never fought like that again, and the once sub dom male still remains dominant over his sibling.

fish455a.jpg

fish451a.jpg

They are looking awesome! I"m glad they found a good home with you.

The one I kept is looking about the same as yours. Mine has always been a bit darker black/blue but recently he "dethrowned" the red empress and is starting to get some brighter colors.

They are gorgeous fish, definitely worth the wait.

This is probably going to sound dumb, but why is the progression looking worse to me? At first they seem like nice blue fish, and then at the end they look diseased or something? Is this the style of fish or something? Sorry, I just don't get it yet. :)

This is probably going to sound dumb, but why is the progression looking worse to me? At first they seem like nice blue fish, and then at the end they look diseased or something? Is this the style of fish or something? Sorry, I just don't get it yet. :)

Haha, I guess everyone has a different opinion on what looks good in a fish.

Phenos get speckling as they mature. It looks better in person then it does in pics, as its hard to capture the different colors and the metallic shine to the flecks in a picture. So the spots/flecks aren't disease, its just the color pattern of this fish.

I guess it's an acquired taste? lol But yes, as Val mentioned the fish look far better in person as their subtle colors & iridescence is difficult to capture with a camera.

BTW Val, look what I found on my HD ..... the 3 little bros from back in Feb 2006.

pheno4-degfeb.jpg

Aww, my babies :)

I have a couple pics of the 3 of them together too. Here they are in June 2006 right before you got your 2. The one I kept is the front fish, with the speckle on his head.

phenojune215.jpg

And here is what my guy looked like in Sept 2008.

pheno4.jpg

The pic isn't too great but shows the progress.

Edited by degrassi