Which would be better to keep w/ labs?

EowynJane

P. Socolofi or P. Acei? For my 50g which currently houses 5 little yellow labs. I was thinking either all female (if possible) or just 1 male and 3 or 4ish females for the Socolofi or 1m & 3f of the Acei. I know someone who kept a reverse trio of the Acei so I was also wondering if 2 of each would work.

I was thinking of going in on one of the group orders but I'm kind of nervous, I don't like buying things I can't see first. What do you guys think?

IME all mbuna breed like crazy.

I keep Labs and Acei in my 90g and they are a great combo. The labs stay close to the rocks and the acei are always out swimming in the open around the top. Both also have similar "peaceful" temperament.

Socolofi would also work ok, they are just more aggressive then the acei.

Um... they won't interbreed will they? I don't know what I'd do if I ended up with a bunch of mutts. I'm starting to wonder if it was such a good idea to keep yellows but I really like the fish.

Forgot to add.. I'm going to have to add either a Bristlenose or a SAE to this tank... it's in the living room and gets quite a bit of natural light. In summer we'll be closing the curtains but right now they're open all day.

As for group orders I can understand being concerned; however, any good fish shipper will send you pictures of their actual stock when asked so you can see what their stock is like.

You can also google them or check forums (e.g. MonsterFishkeepers) to see what kind of experiences the people on the forum have had with the supplier. If you are thinking Spencer Jack, I can personally say that his fish are amazing. I have only lost 1 fish out of the dozens he has sent me.

Hope this helps.

Ill through my hat in for P. Socolofi, basically choose which you like more or can get a better quality of fish.

I have found you can do many mixes (especially mbuna ) regardless of aggression if you dont overcrowd and dont have 2 species from a genus. Im not the world expert or even this sites expert just what I have found.

Actually I'd have to go with the Cichlid Exchange order, SP doesn't have either of the fish I want. That kind of bothers me because although I've seen several successful orders for SP go through the CE one is new to me. I'm probably just worrying to much, I'm sure you guys wouldn't order through them if it was bad. Or I could drive down to Calgary and visit Golds....... I thought I could save a bit if I got in on a group order :rolleyes:

I really like both fish... decisions, decisions..... :unsure: :eh:

I would also go with the acei. Socolofi are really aggressive and they tend to be alot more territorial. If you have males and females of the labs and the other fish you shouldn't have to highly worry about cross breeding. I have found that they typically cross breed when the males don't have some of their own females to breed with, or when the males or females are very similar looking.

In your size of tank, the acei would probably be the better choice due to their aggression level. (much less than socolofi)

Just make sure that you get the acei of your choice, as there is more than one variant and their coloration is completely different.

Ok... I like the less agressive idea. Of course I want the Acei I've seen in pictures on the cichlid board, the beautiful blue with the yellow tails... Are those hard to come by? I'm not sure which ones are on the group order list, do you think that's a safe way to go?

Edit - BDF was nice enough to send them a request for a picture of the Acei!

Edited by EowynJane

Steve Lundblad from Cichlid Exchange is well known within the industry so I wouldn't expect any problems with his fish.

I've personally never dealt with CE, but they seem to have a pretty solid reputation. The yellow tail variant of acei seems to be the most popular, so hopefully those are the fish that CE has in stock. (if that's what you've decided on)

I've been hearing nothing but good things about CE and that makes me feel worlds better. The yellow tail is what I want, email confirms that is what they are selling... just waiting for a picture to make my final decision but I think I'm going to go for it.

So how many should I get? Should I go for the reverse trio or can I fit more?