Question for those of you using root tabs

Ruadh

What type of tabs do you use?

What is the breakdown? N.P.K.?

Where do you buy them?

Thankx all

Rick

I had been using Fluorish tabs, but I just made my own batch of DIY tabs using pottery clay. Haven't popped them in the tank yet. They're kind of a combination of these two:

DIY clay balls

DIY root tabs recipe

Thank you Werner

Is the clay absorbed by the subsrate over time or does it build up?

Rick

Is the clay absorbed by the subsrate over time or does it build up?

I used Plainsman's Terrastone clay. It's a mix of naturally occurring clay, so I wouldn't really worry about build up. It would be similar to using soil, peat or another organic materials under the gravel.

The chemical analysis is listed as:

BaO 0.0

CaO 0.4

K2O 3.1

MgO 1.1

Na2O 0.1

TiO2 0.6

Al2O3 14.7

P2O5 0.2

SiO2 69.7

Cr2O3 0.0

Fe2O3 5.0

MnO 0.0

The plants would take up some of the elements as trace nutrients, others would be left in the substrate (eg. SiO2- silica sand.)

I also added all sorts of my dry ferts to the mix.

I still have many kilos of clay left, so if you guys are interested I can make you some (tons cheaper than store tabs!) I'll give them a test run in my tank first. ;)

Okay, I'm now running a "tab test". I just planted 3 baby sword plants, all around the same size. One gets a Flourish tab, one gets nothing (control), and one gets my DIY tab. My scientific method leaves a lot to be desired, but we'll see how they grow...

I've used Jobe's a lot in the past - the ones for Palms & Ferns. The thing w. them is that they are made w. ammonia, so if they surface, they usually cause an algae bloom. So, when using Jobe's don't plan on moving your plants around a bunch.

I've used Jobe's a lot in the past - the ones for Palms & Ferns. The thing w. them is that they are made w. ammonia, so if they surface, they usually cause an algae bloom. So, when using Jobe's don't plan on moving your plants around a bunch.

Thankx Jason

That's something to consider.

Would you mind looking to see what the NPK ratio is for me?

Edited by Ruadh

Agreed! I have had no problems with them and they seem to help...certainly cheap.....I break them in smaller pieces and insert at least 1" deep.

From observation only, there may be better choices and clay balls is my next adventure.

John

Thankx Jason

I don't have any left, but I think it was something like 10-2-10.

• 1 month later...

Thankx Jason

I don't have any left, but I think it was something like 10-2-10.

The jobe's for palms and ferns are 16-2-6

how is your root tab test going werner? can we get another picture?

I's proceeding well enough, but my other plants seem to be interfering. I thought I situated the swords in a good spot where they would receive equal amounts of light, but only one seems to be getting direct light on it (the Flourish plant). The other two are slightly shaded by some of the other plants in the tank, so I have to do some re-arranging. If I have to move them, I'll see if the tabs have been consumed.

At this point, the Flourish plant is significantly bigger and has a couple more new leaves than the others. My DIY tab plant is the smallest, but it's also the one on the side receiving the least light. The control and the DIY plant have produced the same number of new leaves, however, the DIY plant has a more rounded leaf shape (interesting!) The other two are more oblong, with the control plant looking a bit spindly.

I'll try to get more pics once the lights turn on today.