My oscar bites! Is that normal?

Bandi

I was just wondering if oscars typically bite hands in the tank. I have only had this ocsar about three weeks and she is about 8 inches long. I have messed around in the tank often and only just today did she bite me.

I noticed she had been digging herself a shallow in the rocks at the bottom of her tank. In doing so she uprooted one of my air lines. So I attemped to put it back under some rocks (more or less where her shallow was) and she bite me once and tried a second time ...but I was too quick...ha ha. I suppose she figures the shallow is her territory and took execption to me messing about right there.

Any comments would be appreciated.

sounds like your oscars got character.

my oscar used to nibble on my hands and if i was lucky she would eat mysis from my hands.

she wasn't really that scared of me at all.

sounds normal to mee.

Yes sounds normal to me too. I used to keep Oscars and occasionally they would bite. I think more out of curosity than to be attacking. Just recently one of my Africans bit me and drew blood! Talk about being shocked :shock:

Edited by Rhea

I have 45 fish in my Tanganyikan tank, and it's the smallest one (L. brevis) that attack my hand on a regular basis! THey're always biting me and the hose during WCs.

Sounds territorial to me. But they are curious and will check things out like someone else said. I used to have one that loved to be petted, pretty much anytime I put my hands in the tank I could manhandle him to no end, he loved it. That's one of the things I like about fish, they really do have more personality and intelligence than the vast majority of people give them credit for.

She may have laid eggs or planning on it. The attack sounds defensive to me.Although you may not have a male in there she can still go through the motions if her hormones tell her to. Introduce a handsome male you may have a peppy breeder on your hands.

Mine have attacked before. I now back them into a corner and tickle them under the chin. I think it embarrasses them so they don't bite me when I 'm working in their tank. New movie "When Oscars attack!!".

I have never been bit by my oscar, but he isn't highly territorial or anything. Sounds to me that it was more defensive as well. I think as well it depends on how the last owner had raised them, if they got live foods alot, it makes them more aggressive.

My 1.5" Lamp ocellatus has also bitten me before, don't know what hurt more the bite or me hitting my hand on the stand above the tank lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...